Resettable Fuse - Voltage Drop.

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Hi folks,

Hope all is well.

I have a question someone might be able to help with - I have a little fuse on a device of mine and I am trying to relate the overall power dissipation (loss) with my device and the trip resistance of the fuse

My losses are around 0,7Watts in total - I put a 100mOhm resistor on the output and put 12V dc supply into it - the power brick was rated for 40Watts, I would expect trainsient on the power brick before its own current limiting kicks in.

When I powered the product up the power brick started tripping, as to be expected and I can see the voltage on my output dropping off - it went from 12V down to around 4V and then for some reason seemed to hover around 8V all the while the resistor was conected - once removed it of course went back to 12V..

How can I determine the actual resistance of the fuse when tripped? from the data sheet the Max Power of it when tripped is 1.7Watts

Thanks in advance

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Well maybe it could be my scope graph was the protection of the power brick and not the fuse -- I can try this with a bench power supply it should yield results with the fuse itself. I am keen to see its trip resistance and how long it takes, the data sheet says 0.5s. at ambient