Replace a wire wound resistor

dosyl

Joined Sep 27, 2013
Is it possible to replace a wire wound resistor by a simple resistor in a led driver?
I broke it by my fault.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is it possible to replace a wire wound resistor by a simple resistor in a led driver?
I broke it by my fault.
I don't know. What was the purpose of the WW resistor, and why did the original designer use it? A circuit diagram might be helpful.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
The one next to the "FR1" on the board? You can probably replace it with a similar wattage resistor, but the hard part is knowing what resistance to use.... It seems to be a 1W, maybe a 2W WW resistor....
There are metal film resistors that can be 2W or 3W rated. But again, what resistance are you trying to replace. That is key....

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
How do we know the resistance value???

Looks like this was pulled out of an LED bulb, the kind that runs on 110 or 220 VAC. I have a few of them laying around too - units that have failed and pulled apart just to see what's in them. Just be careful. Messing with high voltage AC is dangerous. Off hand I don't know what the output voltage is supposed to be, but I've raw driven one of those LED rings (out of the bulb) with a variable power supply. I THINK I pushed around 4 to 12 volts DC into it. Scared to burn it out - no resistors in circuit - I only tried it for a moment. And sometimes a moment is all it takes to smoke the LED's.

dosyl

Joined Sep 27, 2013
How do we know the resistance value???

Looks like this was pulled out of an LED bulb, the kind that runs on 110 or 220 VAC. I have a few of them laying around too - units that have failed and pulled apart just to see what's in them. Just be careful. Messing with high voltage AC is dangerous. Off hand I don't know what the output voltage is supposed to be, but I've raw driven one of those LED rings (out of the bulb) with a variable power supply. I THINK I pushed around 4 to 12 volts DC into it. Scared to burn it out - no resistors in circuit - I only tried it for a moment. And sometimes a moment is all it takes to smoke the LED's.
The output is 45volts DC.