Repeat cycle timer closed contact 3hrs open contact 1 second

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
Hi Im only a installer and with no electronics or computer experience. I usually install gate automation and the odd access control system. I have installed a access control system with a long range reader which is causing me problems every 3 - 4 hours the long range card reader locks out. the only way to reset it is to turn power off and on again. Im looking for a repeat cycle relay that will meet my needs with this problem. can anyone help!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If you cannot find it off the shelf & as a last resort a CD4060 can supply a 1 second clock and anding stages 14, 12, 10, 6. & 5 will give 3 hours.
Inverting some stages and adding to the big and gate might be necessary. Timing for 1 sec. might be close to 1 uF & 680k ohms.
Where are you located?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What voltages are available at the long range reader location? How are they supplied (battery or mains power)?

A microprocessor with a simple program, a logic level mosfet, a diode and a relay could do it, if you’re willing to stretch your skill set and try it. You don’t even have to write any code; I’ll give you the program.

This is the program...

C:
[LIST=1]
[*]const int outPin =  3;
[*]setup() {
[*]}
[*]Void loop() {
[*]unsigned long end=millis();
[*]const unsigned long repeat=10800000; // 3 hours
[*]end = millis() + repeat;
[*]While (end-millis() >0);
[*]end=millis()+repeat;
[*]digitalWrite(outPin,HIGH);
[*]delay(500)
[*]digitalWrite(outPin,LOW);
[*]}
[/LIST]
The program waits for three hours, activates a relay, cutting power to the long range reader, and then turns the LRR on after a 1/2 second (500 mS) pause.

You need to wire power to the microprocessor (I use an ATTINY45 or 85. Costs like $3). Then connect a pin to the gate of a logic level mosfet, the mosfet source goes to ground. The drain goes to the relay. The diode is connected in reverse across the relay coil. And then both connects to 5V (the relay should be a 5V relay). Power to the LRR is connected to the relay common first; then the relay NC contacts goes to the power of the LRR. Sorry, I’m not near my laptop to draw this as s schematic.

There are other details, with which I’ll help, if you decide to research this.

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
If you cannot find it off the shelf & as a last resort a CD4060 can supply a 1 second clock and anding stages 14, 12, 10, 6. & 5 will give 3 hours.
Inverting some stages and adding to the big and gate might be necessary. Timing for 1 sec. might be close to 1 uF & 680k ohms.
Where are you located?
Hi Bernard. Location Southern Spain

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
What voltages are available at the long range reader location? How are they supplied (battery or mains power)?

A microprocessor with a simple program, a logic level mosfet, a diode and a relay could do it, if you’re willing to stretch your skill set and try it. You don’t even have to write any code; I’ll give you the program.

This is the program...

C:
[LIST=1]
[*]const int outPin =  3;
[*]setup() {
[*]}
[*]Void loop() {
[*]unsigned long end=millis();
[*]const unsigned long repeat=10800000; // 3 hours
[*]end = millis() + repeat;
[*]While (end-millis() >0);
[*]end=millis()+repeat;
[*]digitalWrite(outPin,HIGH);
[*]delay(500)
[*]digitalWrite(outPin,LOW);
[*]}
[/LIST]
The program waits for three hours, activates a relay, cutting power to the long range reader, and then turns the LRR on after a 1/2 second (500 mS) pause.

You need to wire power to the microprocessor (I use an ATTINY45 or 85. Costs like $3). Then connect a pin to the gate of a logic level mosfet, the mosfet source goes to ground. The drain goes to the relay. The diode is connected in reverse across the relay coil. And then both connects to 5V (the relay should be a 5V relay). Power to the LRR is connected to the relay common first; then the relay NC contacts goes to the power of the LRR. Sorry, I’m not near my laptop to draw this as s schematic.

There are other details, with which I’ll help, if you decide to research this.
Hi djsfantasi. PSU 12dcv supplies the controller which in turns supplies the reader. I think this is above me skill set I would really love to give it a go but would know where to start.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A letter to Spain is about US $ 3.00 + forms. A small circuit board would need to be under 1/4 in. thick to fit in a letter. Relay would need to be locally supplied. I'll be out of touch for about a week.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
This is a circuit that I used to give periodic bursts of ozone. The input was a standard 120vac wall plug timer that could be set in as small as 15 minute on/off cycles. The output was to an ozone generator. For short off timed you would use the Com and NC relay contacts on the right side. For 1 second off time you could reduce C1 to 16uF. But depending Q1, you may need to play with C1 and R1 if you need to get it exact.

Ken

Ozone timer.GIF

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you sure that 3-hour lockout cannot be changed? Can you post links to that device?

I would be leery of opening and closing the gate while it is unattended, so I assume you intend to cycle the power every 3 hours. Is that right?

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
Are you sure that 3-hour lockout cannot be changed? Can you post links to that device?

I would be leery of opening and closing the gate while it is unattended, so I assume you intend to cycle the power every 3 hours. Is that right?
The reader is on a Vehicle gate and locks our every 3 to 4 hours for some reason, can't find out why. they only way It will work after locking out is to reset it by pulling the power for a second. the gate is always unattended..

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
If you have a rudimentary circuit for the device, you might locate a circuit voltage present/not present when the reader locks out – you could then use this as a signal to momentarily cut the dc power to the reader (to achieve the rest).

This would be a better solution than randomly powering down the reader every 3-4 hours.

Have you looked at ESD as being the problem? Maybe something simple like grounding the surrounding pad.

Maybe someone could help more by seeing the install and instructions.

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
If you have a rudimentary circuit for the device, you might locate a circuit voltage present/not present when the reader locks out – you could then use this as a signal to momentarily cut the dc power to the reader (to achieve the rest).

This would be a better solution than randomly powering down the reader every 3-4 hours.
Yes I agree it would be a better solution than to randomly power the reader down, However, when the reader lock-outs there is no warning or voltage increase/decrease to get any signal.

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
A letter to Spain is about US $ 3.00 + forms. A small circuit board would need to be under 1/4 in. thick to fit in a letter. Relay would need to be locally supplied. I'll be out of touch for about a week.
Hi Bernard. Im willing to pay the cost of anything to get me out of this hole im in. as I said earlier Im not capable in building and electronic board myself, everyone seems to be very help full in the advice im receiving but it just goes over my head these circuit diagrams and such.

If your willing in putting something together I would be more than happy in paying for it.

Stuie2808

Joined May 27, 2019
Stue:

Initial comments.

On the AX100 to Ax200 cable make sure the shield is connected to only one side of the cable.

he install guide is missing a wire to the AX100. What did you do with the shield? Is it unconnected or connected to something?

Black (ground) to Green (Data0)
Black (ground) to White (Data1)
Black (ground) to Red (+12)

Then with the shield disconnected to the AX100 (I'm guessing it might be)
measure Data0 to the unconnected shield and
data1 to the unconnected shield.

and +12 (Red) to the unconnected shield.

All of these measurements will help determine where and if the shield needs to be connected. I think it does need to be connected.

Expect voltages of 0, 5 or 12.

In general, you would like shields to be connected at one end only.
The signal sourcing end is preferred.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The 1s – 1h timer version in my initial post would work, resetting the reader once every hour. I presume that the only downside to powering off/on the reader is that there is some delay in the reader becoming operational after a power down – but that is better than it being permanently locked out, requiring some service intervention.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Since the power-interruption reset can be as short as 1 second, I see no reason for the period to be 3 hours. 1 hour or even less wold be an easier timer circuit with no real consequences. Also, it doesn't sound like the timing has to be very precise. A CD4060, its timing R-R-C, and two diodes should do it. Plus an LED to show that the counter is counting.

What are the voltage and current of the power line being interrupted?

Does everything in the system run on +12 V? If yes, there probably is a programmable timer module on ebay that can do this for about $5 US. Cycle mode, independently adjustable on and off times, fully isolated relay contact outputs.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-12V-...ch-Turn-Off-On-Time-Relay-Module/322568088183

in operating mode P3.2.

ak

Last edited: