Removed a EPROM Is this PCB Dead?

Sean-S13

Joined Apr 10, 2016
I removed a EPROM from my PCB its a Car ECU. I have accidentally heated the pin hole to much and the solder has bridged 2 Pin holes together. Is this fixable or is it screwed?

Thanks
Sean

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That looks like close but not connected by actual solder. Have you tried checking continuity between the two pins with the power off?

Sean-S13

Joined Apr 10, 2016
Just tried to remove it with solder wick. looks almost the same will upload another img. Have not checked continuity yet as my multimeter is at my unit.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Just tried to remove it with solder wick. looks almost the same will upload another img. Have not checked continuity yet as my multimeter is at my unit.
You could do better at getting the solder out of that place, but looking at that tear shape it seems to me that the connection is intentional.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That does not look like a solder bridge.
If it is a bridge, get some solder wick and wick away the solder bridge.
Doesn't look like a solder bridge to me either - I agree with the suggestion to use solder wick. That will clean it up and show any track that's under there.

Sean-S13

Joined Apr 10, 2016
There is no tracks under there, Just the dark green part of the PCB but I think its burnt through the dark green part and connected the 2 pins together.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
There is no tracks under there, Just the dark green part of the PCB but I think its burnt through the dark green part and connected the 2 pins together.
Well, if all else fails, you can always call up the datasheet of the EPROM and see if these two pins are/can be connected.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
you should use flux and desoldering pump.

Once you have several faults on such PCBs with thin tracks it becomes a nightmare.
You can scratch of the green laquer and attach magnet wire but better try at a via.
As thin as they are it will be a pain.

Desoldering pump goes quite quick for DIL ICs if the PCB is plated through, almost impossible to remove. You can however cut off the IC first then carefully push out the remains. If there are more than 2 layers vias inside are damaged easily. But DIL IC PCBs dont often use multilayer.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The dark green layer is solder mask so only features such as pads get exposed for solder. If it gets removed so you get solder stuck to something below it there is probably metal there to begin with.

If it is a true solder short with no metal below it should be relatively easy to clear. Heat one pin and the solder should flow there making a break. You can also try heating the area and banging the edge on your able to flick off excess solder.

My preferred way is to use solder wick, braided copper that draws solder into the strands and away from your board.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the help everyone but I just cant stop getting continuity between the two pins. Think the PCB is screwed.
If you look at the enlarged photo of this area, you will NOT see any traces going to either pin. That usually means that the two pins are POWER pins - in this case, they are probably GROUND. Look on the other side of the board, too.

Also, the mask around the area is smooth and symetric, leading me to believe that these two pins were always connected - especially if you have found metal between them.