Remote (wireless) control of potentiometer and DPDT switch

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
It is not necessary to explain whole project and I will specify only what is important for my problem.
Potentiometer and DPDT switch are part of one circuit. My question is, is it possible to control them remotely (wireless)? I mean, I want to have some type of remote controller with potentiometer and two push buttons. Potentiometer and one of two push buttons can be used simultaneously but twp push buttons can't be used simultaneously.
Best regards

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
We're going to need a better description of what it is you want to do. You ask if there's a way to remotely control a pot and a DPDT switch. The short answer is "Likely, yes." However, you want to wirelessly control the pot. There are two ways you can do that. One way is to use a transmitter that will increase the resistance or to decrease the resistance just like the volume control on your TV remote. Yes, that can be done. But the other way you can control the pot is similar to the way an RC (Remote Control) Airplane is controlled. The remote is in constant control of the wing surfaces (for instance), meaning it's always consuming power. You push the joy stick forward and you move the potentiometer forward (or reverse). Similarly, you can control a switch in the same manor.

You can control an actual pot using a servo, same as you can control a switch using a servo, OR you can use the input from the receiver to increase or decrease the "volume" (so to say) through a chip that acts like a potentiometer. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that chip, someone who knows more about it will need to share on that. As for the DPDT portion, that can also be controlled by input from a receiver to turn on and off certain circuits. Just how you configure those circuits is up to you as the chief engineer of this project.

So until we know more about what you want to do - all we ( I ) can do is say "Yes, it's possible."

[edit] A quick google (actually Yahoo) and I found this: http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Volume/

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for reply. Here is schematic:

As you can see, potentiometer is used to adjust speed of DC motor and using DPDT switch I control direction of rotation of motor. Input voltage is 12V DC. DC motor is linear actuator, 12V DC.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to look at any of the off the shelf H-Bridge circuits out there depending on your motor current which is not mentioned. A H-Bridge driver like this one will handle a 15 Amp motor load. The link is merely an example as the H-Bridge solutions come in many versions and are built for a PWM input. You can also roll your own H-Bridge circuit as a Google of H-Bridge circuits will yield a few dozen circuits. As a side note, if you are using the limit switches shown in your drawing you will notice the N/O (Normally Open) portions are not used. Those lines could be fed to a micro-controller for decision making. Control of a H-Bridge wireless can be done several ways depending on the distance. A Google of Wireless Transmitters & Receiver Modules should get some results to choose from. To make the PWM pot remote will depend on exactly how the pot functions in circuit. There are Digital Pots which have several addressable methods. Digital potentiometers also are easily driven by assorted micro-controllers. Here is an example of one such digital potentiometer used with an Arduino micro-controller.

So the motor current is?
Wireless mode preferred is?

Ron

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hello. Here are informations about motor current:

No-load current<1A
Max load current=3A

I want simplest possible and cheapest solution :) There will be only small distance between transmitter and receiver: they will be in same room.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Then I would buy a simple H-Bridge motor controller since you will never be switching any high current and one which can use PWM input. I would get a micro controller like an Arduino Uno or similar and add a Wireless Shield to the Arduino.This is a good read on the subject. The Arduino or similar micro controller will output a PWM. Arduino DC Motor Control Tutorial – L298N | PWM | H-Bridge is another good read on the subject. There is literally unending simple code samples out there. Other members may have some other thoughts and hopefully chime in.

Ron