Relay operation diagram help

ScoFF

Joined May 26, 2023
Hello, I am troubleshooting a pool heater where a component on a mainboard is bad. I'm looking at the relay and trying to figure out how it works in order to know what contacts to test and for what result.
I have a basic understanding of relays, usually 4 prong where you test the output contacts when the input is charged, the relay switches contacts between normally open or normally closed.
I'm not sure what this 6 pin relay diagram is trying to tell me.
Power goes through the coil, then there's the next contact pair that has bent lines, not touching, then the last pair has arrows. Not sure what that means. When it's charged, the 2nd and third goes from closed to open ?

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
That is a NO (normally open) relay. Without power, the two sets of contacts are open. There is no contact between second and third pins. When energized, both poles close, completing two separate circuits. Seriously, if you can’t read a simple relay diagram, you should not be trying to fix this on your own, get someone to help…

ScoFF

Joined May 26, 2023
It's a 12V relay with double normally open contacts, .
Thanks, that's what I though but it only was showing the action for one pair of pins, not both. I assumed the diagram was saying all other contacts would go from open to closed but wanted to confirm. I'm just trying to do a quick check on the components of the board before bringing it to a local electronics person who can colder better than I could, I've replaced capacitors on a monitor that went well but I'll see how it goes.
All diodes seem functional, resistors seem ok, the board is fairly simple. The only things I have left to check is this one relay that I've heard has issues and 2 capacitors which I'd have to remove to test with my multimeter at least. I'll power up the board and test to see if the relay is working as expected.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Power goes through the coil, then there's the next contact pair that has bent lines, not touching, then the last pair has arrows. Not sure what that means.
The bent wires and the arrows are contact points. The diagram shows them in an OPEN position. When the coil is energized they should close. Meanwhile there is never any contact between the upper set and lower set. They are electrically isolated.
When it's charged, the 2nd and third goes from closed to open ?
If you're asking if they go open when energized, no, not according to the diagram. When the coil is energized those bent wires and arrows make individual contact. I stress the individuality of each set of contacts just to make sure you understand that there are no contacts that are ever closed when the relay is NOT energized.
1685178394683.png

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
1685178565448.png 1685178583768.png
My personal preference for drawing the workings of the contacts within a relay. The DPDT relay (left) has a single coil that pulls both armatures from the NC position to the NO position when energized. The SPDT relay (right) is SPDT.
Single Pole Double Throw.
Double Pole Double Throw.
Your relay is a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) meaning there is no "Normal Closed" contact(s). Double Pole because there are two switches in the relay.