Relation between size of a capacitor and its capacitance

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
But within any one construction type, such as comparing surface mount ceramic to surface mount ceramic, or film to film (as in post #11), it sorta kinda does. For all passive components, the volume is proportional to the total energy capability of the device. Of course there are many construction and materials variables, but when you trim it down to apples-to-apples, energy => volume.

ak

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
But within any one construction type, such as comparing surface mount ceramic to surface mount ceramic, or film to film (as in post #11), it sorta kinda does. For all passive components, the volume is proportional to the total energy capability of the device. Of course there are many construction and materials variables, but when you trim it down to apples-to-apples, energy => volume.

ak
I plan on using electrolytic capacitors in an automotive application... but I worry about their endurance and life expectancy (and of course, resistance to temperatures at up to 85°C) The caps are there to stabilize a power supply, and are rated at 1000µF @ 35V and at 47°µF @ 350V respectively. I know that there are automotive-grade electrolytics out there, but are there any other options I could use for that sort of ratings?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Tantalums are out of favor, and struggle at those voltages anyway. Wandering around Digi-Key, there are AlEl caps with 105 degree and 20k hour ratings. They are larger and more expensive than the garden-variety types, but you do get what you pay for. For 1000 uF @ 35 V, they have Nichicon 105C and 20 khours for under $4 in ones.

ak

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Tantalums are out of favor, and struggle at those voltages anyway. Wandering around Digi-Key, there are AlEl caps with 105 degree and 20k hour ratings. They are larger and more expensive than the garden-variety types, but you do get what you pay for. For 1000 uF @ 35 V, they have Nichicon 105C and 20 khours for under $4 in ones.

ak
Excellent... thanks for the tip!