Regulator project

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have a left over regulator from an alternator. Is there any project i could use it for? Does anyone have any idea

Thanks!
Maybe if you were building a Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney AA Fuel Dragster or a Don "The Snake" Prudhomme Funny Car.
Maybe donate it to the "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing here in Ocala

lookingforhelp

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Maybe if you were building a Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney AA Fuel Dragster or a Don "The Snake" Prudhomme Funny Car.
Maybe donate it to the "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing here in Ocala
I live in finland so it would be pretty expensive to ship a 20e part, but otherwise id be happy to give it to someone :/

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What brand of alternator is it from? Some alternators use different circuits. If it is an electronic alternator then all of the circuit may be encapsulated making access difficult. If it was working, it will probably have some value as a repair part and so you may be able to sell it. That would be the best way to dispose of it, by passing it on to one who could use it to repair an alternator.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Any regulator works by taking a higher output and limiting it to a specific set voltage. Auto regulators are a little similar and a little different. Since the use is to recharge an automotive battery from an alternator who's RPM will produce a varying voltage it will likely not only limit voltage but also current. Charging a car battery is not so straight forward, as when the battery is low the voltage of the regulator can reach near 15 volts. But when the battery is fully charged it typically holds the voltage at 13.8 volts.

What you have may work as a voltage regulator for a motor such as a 12 volt fan. And like @MisterBill2 said - it's not likely you'll be able to access internal components to make any useful changes to the way the circuit works. Just for anyone who is curious - I still have kicking around somewhere in the garage one of those older 3 relay type regulators. Maybe if I run across it I'll shoot a photograph of it. Think it came out of a 1970 Ford Ranchero.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That module IS NOT a "voltage regulator." It IS an alternator voltage controller. That is quite different. That device adjusts the alternator field current so that the alternator delivers the desired voltage. So by itself it has a very limited purpose. THAT is why I suggested what I suggested.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That module IS NOT a "voltage regulator." It IS an alternator voltage controller. That is quite different. That device adjusts the alternator field current so that the alternator delivers the desired voltage. So by itself it has a very limited purpose. THAT is why I suggested what I suggested.
Gee those people/engineers sure could have used your expertise back then. How dare they call a voltage regulator a voltage regulator. It did both, it just wasn't a voltage controller it also controlled the output amperage. Tony 1, mb 0.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
an alternator voltage controller
Isn't that what a regulator does? Control the voltage? Whether by limiting current to the armature of an alternator or by voltage regulation - it accomplishes basically the same thing. Since the alternator's RPM is not a constant, one must regulate the output by either regulating the output or by regulating the input. Higher RPMs means lower current to the armature, thus maintaining a fairly constant voltage for the automobile's electric's.

Such a thing useful in other applications? Probably not. But then again I've seen a cleanser can turned into an RCA jack.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
He's also the guy that thinks they had 2 different keys back in the old days of cars, one to turn it on and one to turn it off. Totally doesn't trust the new fangled one push button for the ignition switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As I posted once previously.
Modern automotve alternator regulators use PWM to regulate the field voltage, early ones used a electromagnetic method, these were replaced by the electronic version, but many complained of radio interference, hence the PWM version.
I once built and sold regulators built around the simple electronic versions for scrap yard crane magnet 250v generators.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
He's also the guy that thinks they had 2 different keys back in the old days of cars, one to turn it on and one to turn it off. Totally doesn't trust the new fangled one push button for the ignition switch.
shbus, you are just throwing stones and being nasty now. The unfortunate reality is that the single big button depends on the control computer to switch off the engine. That works most of the time, except when the computer gets confused. The direct shutoff capability is the solution, and that will not be that single multi-function button.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
shbus, you are just throwing stones and being nasty now. The unfortunate reality is that the single big button depends on the control computer to switch off the engine. That works most of the time, except when the computer gets confused. The direct shutoff capability is the solution, and that will not be that single multi-function button.
And you keep showing you don't understand how newer cars work. If it has an ECM the key works to tell the ECM to shut down it doesn't shut down the engine on it's own.