Recursion Equation's Reading

AndrieGnd

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Hi guys, I'm new on recursion Equation and find it hard to read them, it's confusing me .. may please anyone explain to me how should I read this equation ? much appreciate if you elaborate in simple words ..

here's the photo of the equation: (two photos are down, the other one is the range of the equation that works with)

thanks alot

Attachments

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Not knowing what the variables represent I think it says S(j,k), the current sample
= the prior sample, S(j-1,t) + the value of A at the current sample. But the "max"
tells me it wants to compare the computation against some other value and take
the max of that for S(j,k).....Not a mathematician so take this with a grain of salt.

upload_2019-7-3_5-12-2.png

Regards, Dana.

AndrieGnd

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Not knowing what the variables represent I think it says S(j,k), the current sample
= the prior sample, S(j-1,t) + the value of A at the current sample. But the "max"
tells me it wants to compare the computation against some other value and take
the max of that for S(j,k).....Not a mathematician so take this with a grain of salt.

View attachment 180877

Regards, Dana.
but how we do max on specific number? I mean Max(constant) = constant itself , where do we do the max? on what..?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The max isn’t taken on a specific number, so you don’t need to understand how you do max on a single number.

It’s taken over the set of numbers, where t varies from 0 to k. How t is varied is not specified. Is it a discrete or continuous variable? Usually, the maximum and/or minimum of a function occurs when it’s derivative is 0.

So, to read the function, you evaluate the derivative dS(j,t)/dk = 0, where 0≤t≤k