Record sound from RCA audio out to electret microphone input.

thirsty2001

Joined Apr 21, 2015
Hello.
I have a camera in my rally car, an AEE SD 21, and it accepts audio in from an electret microphone/mono plug. I use a Peltor 3M™ FMT120 Intercom that has a RCA audio output socket. I am asking for help with a convertor/amplifier to record the conversation between driver and co-driver from said intercom.
Thanks Ross

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
To go from what probably is consumer line level to microphone level is attenuation, not amplification. There are adapter cables you can buy on eBay to do this. No electronics, no battery or other power source, just two resistors built in.

ak

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@AnalogKid,
Do you think a simple RCA to mono-plug adapter has in-line resistors already installed? That would make it very easy for the OP.

Alternatively, a good recorder will have some type of compression as well - loud sounds may be slightly distorted.

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Line level can be up to 1000 times greater than mic level, so as AnologKid has already said you need an attenuating lead. If you order one online make sure you get one that has the 3.5mm jack at the mic end. Some will have a 3 pin XLR plug. Straight phono/jack adapters don't have the pad built in afaik. If you like making stuff you could try a 1K resistor across the mic jack terminals and a 330K resistor between mic live and phono centre pin (All in the lead and screened). Change the 330k higher or lower if necessary to get the level right.

thirsty2001

Joined Apr 21, 2015
Hello.
I have a camera in my rally car, an AEE SD 21, and, I have been informed by the manufacturer, it accepts audio in from an electret microphone source current/voltage. I use a Peltor 3M™ FMT120 Intercom that has a RCA audio output socket.
As noted an attenuated cable with a RCA male plug to a 3.5mm mono male plug seems to be the go.
I am a low level novice at electrical, but I can understand a circuit, and make something to suit with a circuit diagram.

Can anyone advise a source for such a cable or do a diagram for me?
Thanks Ross