recomended books for transistors/opamps/amp design

phenohm

Joined Nov 12, 2006
hello all! i am self-taught, or rather in the process of self-teaching, and i have read through books 1 and 2 of the kuphaldt series, which have been incredibly helpful, but in book 3 the chapters aren't complete, and i think i need an additional reference to fill in the blanks. i am studying all of this hoping to build/repair hi-fi and instrument amps, guitar effect pedals, etc., and the semiconductors i'll need to work with are tubes, opamps, and transistors (all sorts), for the most part. does anyone know of any helpful texts/web resources, etc.? i am hoping to find something similar to the kuphaldt series, i.e. textbook-style.

thanks for your help!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
hello all! i am self-taught, or rather in the process of self-teaching, and i have read through books 1 and 2 of the kuphaldt series, which have been incredibly helpful, but in book 3 the chapters aren't complete, and i think i need an additional reference to fill in the blanks. i am studying all of this hoping to build/repair hi-fi and instrument amps, guitar effect pedals, etc., and the semiconductors i'll need to work with are tubes, opamps, and transistors (all sorts), for the most part. does anyone know of any helpful texts/web resources, etc.? i am hoping to find something similar to the kuphaldt series, i.e. textbook-style.

thanks for your help!
Hi phenohm,

You should look at The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. It provides a superb coverage of semiconductor devices of all flavours without bogging you down with the mathematics which some textbooks have a tendency to do. It focuses on concepts the same as the AAC on-line textbook does. Sadly it is quite expensive to buy (altough you could look at loaning it from a library) and is also a touch old (published in 1989) which means its coverage of the digital side of things is a little outdated. Still its coverage of the fundamentals is second to none.

Dave

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You can look for AOE at http://www.half.com the used bookstore affiliated with EBAY.

I would find the ISBN number first, at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com and then visit half.com Look at all three places.

According to one of the H's ... Winfield Hill, the new edition should be out soon, at least that's what I read in the sci.electronics.design newsgroup awhile back. It might be out now, but I haven't looked for it.

phenohm

Joined Nov 12, 2006
hey thanks a lot guys! did some research and apparently there's a third edition that will come out, initial estimates were that it would have been out 6-8 months ago, but recent word from the authors is that it'll be more like a year+ from now. the seattle library doesn't have the book. can you believe it? anyway, i ordered the pair - text and study guide. sounds like most of the information won't expire anytime soon. thanks again!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
hey thanks a lot guys! did some research and apparently there's a third edition that will come out, initial estimates were that it would have been out 6-8 months ago, but recent word from the authors is that it'll be more like a year+ from now. the seattle library doesn't have the book. can you believe it? anyway, i ordered the pair - text and study guide. sounds like most of the information won't expire anytime soon. thanks again!
Btw, I am assuming that the third edition refer to Art of Electronics - at least I hope so... If so, thanks for the information. I have been questioning when "Art" would be updated to bring it into line with the current text's on the subject. It is the best for getting a deap understanding of the concepts. If not... :(

Dave

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
I would also recommend the following:

Op-amps for Everyone by Ron Mancini
Op-amp Applications Handbook by Walter Jung
Operational Amplifiers by Jiri Dostral

Increasing in technical nature.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
i had that article by ron Mancini printed for my personal reference and at the same time as a source for students am helping out here. it also contains some history of opamps. its a very good material:)

moz