Recieving mobile phone signal?

Oddy

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Okay I'm curious if this is possible for the sake of video transmission.

Is it possible to listen to and decode mobile phone signal? say you made a video skype call to someone via a 3G/4G network is it possible to use a reciever to listen to the signal that is transmitted from your mobile phone and then decode it to view the video.

I'm curious about doing this for the sake of FPV rc flying without the latency and signal dropout that would be involved if just making say a skype call between two 4G enabled mobile phones.

If here isn't the place to do it are there other places it might be worth asking?

Cheers for any suggestions
Oddy

Oddy

Joined Sep 28, 2014
It doesn't have to be skype, I just am curious if its possible to transmit video by mobile phone, recieve and decode it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I guess if you can build a phone it is possible. I'm going out on a limb here but I doubt there is an English speaking engineer that knows the answer since there are no phones made in predominantly English speaking countries.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You can receive any transmitted signal. Whether you can decode it is another story. Also....I believe now that most countries have outlawed receiving cell phone transmissions. I believe they have outlawed the equipment to do so.....also.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You can receive any transmitted signal. Whether you can decode it is another story. Also....I believe now that most countries have outlawed receiving cell phone transmissions. I believe they have outlawed the equipment to do so.....also.
That is a good point. General coverage receivers have theses bands disabled.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
The digital signals are encrypted to prevent just such a thing happening. If you get the encryption wrong then the call is unintelligible (as I found out when I worked in the mobile phone industry).

Try going to www.3gpp.org and search for Encryption.