Recently, I made a slayer exciter circuit

Levi23

Joined Sep 11, 2019
Hello ACC members,

Recently, I made a slayer exciter circuit. I'd wanted to see it when it creates arcs and lights up the light bulbs at distance.

I uploaded the image of the circuit. I'm using 9V battery, 22 KOhm resistor, 100 Microfarad capacitor, LED as a diode, TIP142 transistor, 1 turn primary coil and approximately 652 turn secondary coil.

When I gave the energy to the circuit, I couldn't see any arcs and it didn't effectively light up an LED at distance.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to obtain answers for my questions below:

1) Which factors did cause this problems?

2) What could you suggest I to improve the circuit and access my goals that I expected from my circuit? For example, I'm thinking about feeding circuit with an inverter circuit, is it a good idea?

3) What kind of formulas do I have to use on this circuit? Simple DC formulas or AC formulas (i.e. calculating inductance, capacitance)?

Thank you.

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
If you will look below at the "Related Forum Posts" you will most likely find all your answers as this is a common topic here.

Levi23

Joined Sep 11, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
If you will look below at the "Related Forum Posts" you will most likely find all your answers as this is a common topic here.
I'm sorry but I couldn't find any answer that matches with my thoughts, questions and problem with circuit.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
A few points. The battery must be fully charged. LED in the circuit should light up to indicate oscillation. The oscillation is fast enough that the LED appears on but it is flashing at the rate of the oscillation. LEDs do not light up at a distance due to the high voltage field. Neon or Flourescent will. Feeding from an inverter will not work, it needs DC to power it. The active time span on a 9V battery is short and battery depletes quickly. Not sure about the TIP xstr, usually uses 2N2222 on that circuit. How about a picture of what you have so far?

Levi23

Joined Sep 11, 2019
A few points. The battery must be fully charged. LED in the circuit should light up to indicate oscillation. The oscillation is fast enough that the LED appears on but it is flashing at the rate of the oscillation. LEDs do not light up at a distance due to the high voltage field. Neon or Flourescent will. Feeding from an inverter will not work, it needs DC to power it. The active time span on a 9V battery is short and battery depletes quickly. Not sure about the TIP xstr, usually uses 2N2222 on that circuit. How about a picture of what you have so far?
I added a 1000 Microfarad capacitor in parallel to the circuit, I don't know how it affects to the circuit. Because I don't know which formulas should be used.

I want to make calculations about circuit. So, what kind of formulas do I have to use? Simple DC formulas, or AC formulas (like capacitance, inductance and reactances.)?

By the way, my main goal was creating arcs from positive terminal of the secondary coil. How can I create them?

NOTE: LED lights up, I haven't got any problem with it.

Thank you.

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
By the way, my main goal was creating arcs from positive terminal of the secondary coil. How can I create them?
You're not going to get any real sparks. The best you can hope for is a small bluish corona discharge at the tip-end of the coil but it should illuminate a neon bulb and maybe a screw-in fluorescent bulb held near the coil. First you have to get the LED to light up.

Levi23

Joined Sep 11, 2019
You're not going to get any real sparks. The best you can hope for is a small bluish corona discharge at the tip-end of the coil but it should illuminate a neon bulb and maybe a screw-in fluorescent bulb held near the coil. First you have to get the LED to light up.
Okay, thank you all for your attentions and suggestions.

Welcome to AAC!
Can someone please help me, i'm making a slayer exciter circuit work for my science mini project to be submitted the day after tomorrow. I'm using 20k resistor (i tried 22k but i've read an article here where it doesn't necessarily need to be exact) 9v battery (New), and 2n2222A transistor. And please, does the size of copper wires matter? Specially the size difference of the primary and secondary coil? (I had 120+ coil wind on secondary and 3 winds on my primary) thanks so much

Attachments

Welcome to AAC!
Hello kind sir, i'm thinking of putting a 104 ceramic capacitor, i'm actually desperate to make this work, i know it requires patience but i'm time pressured to do this. Should i use a ceramic capacitor or the aluminum one

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Look at the typical circuits above. There is NO capacitor used and also notice the number of turns used in the coil windings. For the 2N2222 circuit, it shows 275 turns. Those turns need to be laid down neatly with a minimum overlap of the winding wires. Double-check the pinout of your transistor. There were a couple of variants of the 2n2222 made with different pinouts. Check the model number on the transistor against a Datasheet for that model to get the correct pinout. Good Luck and Welcome to AAC!

Look at the typical circuits above. There is NO capacitor used and also notice the number of turns used in the coil windings. For the 2N2222 circuit, it shows 275 turns. Those turns need to be laid down neatly with a minimum overlap of the winding wires. Double-check the pinout of your transistor. There were a couple of variants of the 2n2222 made with different pinouts. Check the model number on the transistor against a Datasheet for that model to get the correct pinout. Good Luck and Welcome to AAC!
Thank you so much for additional info! btw im using 18awg for secondary and 14awg for primary, does it matter? (If yes can you recommend me a size for my magnetic wires?) Also my primary coil is bare copper is it ok? I hope this works in time

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
my primary coil is bare copper
Uninsulated wire will just short out. It needs to be at least enamel coated. The wire size is relatively unimportant since the current in this circuit is minimal. 9v - 0.7V for the diode = 8.3V/20KΩ = 415uA ~1/20A on the primary. For ease of use and cost per unit, cheap small gauge enameled magnet wire is typically used on the secondary. The primary should be standard insulated connection wire and ~22AWG or larger is fine. The secondary wire calls for 275 turns MINIMUM. Wound tightly and laid down neatly as close together as possible with layers laid down in the "groove" between the wires of the layer beneath them. Wires crossing X should be avoided as much possible and only at the ends of the coil where starting a new layer. You should be able to find some UTube videos of coil winding using a drill motor as an aid.

Uninsulated wire will just short out. It needs to be at least enamel coated. The wire size is relatively unimportant since the current in this circuit is minimal. 9v - 0.7V for the diode = 8.3V/20KΩ = 415uA ~1/20A on the primary. For ease of use and cost per unit, cheap small gauge enameled magnet wire is typically used on the secondary. The primary should be standard insulated connection wire and ~22AWG or larger is fine. The secondary wire calls for 275 turns MINIMUM. Wound tightly and laid down neatly as close together as possible with layers laid down in the "groove" between the wires of the layer beneath them. Wires crossing X should be avoided as much possible and only at the ends of the coil where starting a new layer. You should be able to find some UTube videos of coil winding using a drill motor as an aid.
I replaced my copper wires- i am using 18awg and 32awg wires The circuit works bc the LED lights up but my filament doesn't light up, i tried my flourescent tube it didn't also work out. I got my connections done and windings proper idk what's wrong

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You are not going to get much out of a 9V battery. Try taking a loop off the primary as it will change the coil ratio and increase the secondary voltage. Try using a neon bulb as it may not have enough power to energize a fluorescent tube. At best there will be a small HOT blue corona on the tip end of the secondary coil. No big arcing sparks but the blue corona will have enough energy to ignite tissue paper if you can produce one. The LED on indicates that it is oscillating and energizing the coil.