Recent FSK chips?

Ironic

Joined Dec 23, 2008
Hi guys.

I am doing a project where i want to use FSK modulator and demodulator connected to microcontrolers (pic) for a radio link.

I have XR 2206/XR 2211 and the LM567 tone decoder. They work but they are old chips, some versions even obsolete, and i would prefer to give a more modern look to the project. I've tried to look around for modern replacement's but no luck.

Cristal controlled oscillators would be better for lower frequency drift versus temperature. Also if the frequency could be higher (at least 1Mhz) even better.

Any ideias?

Tks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I requested some 16F1827's and PIC16F1933's as samples - it took awhile for them to ship (they were very new at the time) but I got them a couple of months later. These things have more functions than you can shake a stick at.

It's really amazing what functionality they are stuffing into the newer models.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I requested some 16F1827's and PIC16F1933's as samples - it took awhile for them to ship (they were very new at the time) but I got them a couple of months later. These things have more functions than you can shake a stick at.

It's really amazing what functionality they are stuffing into the newer models.
They only "common" PIC peripheral they left out of the 1827 was USB, but it only has 18 I/O pins, so it is forgivable. The amount of RAM and Flash storage are impressive, even for an "Enhanced Mid-Range" PIC as well.

Yes, onboard peripherals are where AVR and PIC diverge rapidly. The Arduino OS uses a lot of bit banging to have abilities the hardware doesn't, such as PWM on any pin. At least the Arduino Uno 32 PIC can do a bit more without using up processor cycles.

I predict it won't be long, if not already, that PICs with USB Host ability are released, so thumb drives or mice can be plugged into them for data or interfacing.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
You don't say what sort of radio link you are going to use, distance, frequency, power etc but many off the shelf radio link modules have FSK/ASK features built-in. You just just provide the logic data (generally via some form of serial link, SPI,I2C or ASCII) and the radio module does the FSK mod/demod for you.

Ironic

Joined Dec 23, 2008
that seems like a really useful feature on the pic, however i need usb, so i can't change from the current 18F4550.

Regarding specifications they are still open. The fsk chip i get will also dictate the type of transmitter used.

The main question is that i have to use available transmitters so i have to do AFSK, meaning i have to shift the frequency of the transmitted signal and not the carrier. this is usually done with radio modems for frequencies in the hearing range but i want to go much higher than that.

Can those radio link modules do that? Can you give an example?

Like i said the XR 2206/XR 2211 pair and the LM567 do the trick, but i could do with more speed. any kind of chips that do at least the same at a faster speed would be good for me.

Tks