Raspberry pi DAQ // Reliablity

sohamkul

Joined Jun 24, 2016
Hello everyone ,
I ve been working on building a data acquisition system for some days now ,
I have used raspberry pi as one the components in the system .
I am about to fit the system on clients machine .

Raspberryis going to be ON for most of the time for like 12-13 hours per day ...
Is raspberry pi reliable ?
should i be concerned about something ?
What could possibly go wrong ? is there anything i can do to make sure that raspi doesn't give up !

Thank you .

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Computers like cool weather and good power. If you don't go cheap with the power supply it should run for years 24/7 in good environmental conditions. Long-term SD card reliability would be my first worry with the power supply being second.

Don't call it a Raspberry pi in technical papers, use the term ARMv7 or ARMv8 embedded computer.;)

Last edited:

sohamkul

Joined Jun 24, 2016
ARMv7 based DAQ it is :D:D:DThat gave me confidence !!
Can i hide raspberry pi in anyway ? like remove labels or stuff ?
Is there in general anyway to hide circuits ? i mean we put a lot of effort into it and
someone could just look at ic's and copy it !
LIke for software they just give the executable file ....

Thank you !!!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Beware that like most computer systems, the Raspberry Pi Operating System can be corrupted by unscheduled power outages.

Most of the time it will recover, but not always. Best to shut down the OS properly before turning off the power.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Beware that like most computer systems, the Raspberry Pi Operating System can be corrupted by unscheduled power outages.

Most of the time it will recover, but not always. Best to shut down the OS properly before turning off the power.
Very true. What you can do on the cheap is to make a USB UPS from a USB power bank with a 2A output. The power supply charges the battery, battery runs the RPi and the RPi uses a GPIO port to detect the AC power supply 5vdc input power supply good signal (with a small relay or opto-isolator). If the good signal is lost a UPS monitor program like upsmon can shutdown the system in an orderly fashion.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I kind of doubt the PI or any "hobbyist" based board has the same protection schemes,etc.. as a "professional" designed product might..
It probably has most BUT given the details so far we can't possibly answer the question..
A complete schematic of the entire system would be required along with loads of other questions..
We know nothing about this "clients machine" nor any of the following and more..
Environment?
ESD levels?
EMI/EMC?
Vibration?
Lightning Strikes?
etc...
etc...

This is why companies hire Engineers..
The internet is not a suitable replacement for that..

We could say sure... But when the first one gets hit by a strong ESD event they will come right to you and what will you say?
"well the internet told me it was fine" isn't going to cut it..