Rapid Pcb's

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since this is the Homework Help forum, are we to assume that your question is somehow related to a school assignment?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You're not going to be able to make any PCBs in 30 minutes, regardless of the application. You're going to need to design the schematic, then use it to design the PCB, then send the designs to a board house to manufacture them (or etch them yourself which requires harsh chemicals and other equipment).

PCB design requires patience. If you don't have that patience, you shouldn't be trying to design a PCB :p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I read it as how to "make" a PCB, not design it in 30 minutes. Given an existing design, that should not be too hard with any of the common methods.

John

Paschalis Petropoulos

Joined May 11, 2015
Asking for rapid prototyping circuit board after the design of schematic, apart from the conventional manner, iron-hydrogen peroxide, transparencies.
In the following photos the boards are made with lithographic film and screen printing in less than 30 minutes and can produce more than 5 pieces in 30 minutes.
if anyone can make at home pcb's with cnc , or 3d printing ? .

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
With PCB milling you could get maybe there, depending of the number of holes (is it through hole?), somewhat related to the length of traces if it is a simple design. Too many variables into play.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you are starting the clock "after the design of schematic", then you are asking for the layout of the board to be included in that 30 minutes. Good luck.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
<snip>can produce more than 5 pieces in 30 minutes.
if anyone can make at home pcb's with cnc , or 3d printing ? .
Taking the second part first, a few years back I was helping a forum member with a 555-based PWM design. He lived only a few miles from me, so I packed a o'scope and paid a visit. Problem was easily solved. The best part of the trip was observing his home shop. He had a Tormach in in basement:

upload_2015-5-14_4-57-42.png

I am not sure of the model, but he made gun sights and other gizmos to support his hobbies. He made a new PCB using the mill in just a few minutes. Albeit, it was a simple and small PCB for the aforementioned 555-circuit.

As for the most time efficient way to make several PCB's at a time, one needs to consider the difference between making them serially, as with a mill, versus grouping and making them by another technology. For example, I got notice yesterday that three copies of a little board (1.3"x1.3") that I had sent to Oshpark had been incorporated into a panel with 303 other boards by 55 other people and sent to a fab house. Making 3 small boards by milling can be quick. Making 306 boards would take a lot longer. I don't know where the breakpoint with respect to volume and time/board is and suspect it is constantly changing with new technology.

John

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
If a hobbyist is a real hobbyist, it will always be on the "3-small-boards" side John.

That's why I always dreamed (and still dream) of having one milling machine).

Last edited: