Random Time 555 Timer

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The 22uF capacitor is too large (in value). Use a 10uF capacitor and remove the 330K resistor.
I think that my resistor values were way too large, hence giving me the always on. The 330K and 22uF cap gave me an on-time about 12s and with an additional 470K it was more like 35s. I will change the 22uF cap(cx) to 10uF and connect pin 7 of 555-2 to low side of the 10 resistors stemming from the 4017.

I think I am set with this now, thanks for understanding both my ignorance and stupidity!!!!

iONic

Attachments

Last edited:

mhanes4901

Joined Mar 7, 2009
I'm new to this forum and not sure if anyone is still following this post, but I found this in a search and I think I need a variation of this circuit. I'm not an EE and my electronics education is from the time when the super-het radio was the main teaching tool. I have worked in circuit board assembly so methods are not a problem, but I need some guidance on modifying the circuit to give a random 10-20sec on and 10-20sec off. I'm trying to actuate wind chimes indoors (or anywhere without air movement). Any help would be appreciated.