RAM IC with seperate read and write?

bob152637485

Joined Feb 11, 2017
So, there have been a few different projects I would like to do, but I run into this same problem each time.

Talking about a very basic, unclocked RAM chip for a breadboard, typically they have some pins for an address, some for data, a load/write pin, and an enable output/read pin. The ones I have seen in DIP format for a breadboard typically are not clocked, and operate at 5v.

My issue is that I would like to find a chip out there that can have two sets of address bits and two sets of data bits, so one would be able to read and write to the same memory, with the added ability to read from a memory location seperate to that which you are currently writing to.

I have tried looking, but I am always suprised to not be able to find this type of chip. If anyone knows of one out there that operates in this manner(preferred), or you know of a way to take 2 of the first kind of chip to accomplish this type of operation, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What you are looking for is called "dual-ported RAM".

Depending on how much memory you need, you can roll your own using an FPGA (many/most of which have a fair amount of dual-ported cells, but "fair amount" is in relation to the amount of RAM they have in the first place).

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
So, there have been a few different projects I would like to do, but I run into this same problem each time.

Talking about a very basic, unclocked RAM chip for a breadboard, typically they have some pins for an address, some for data, a load/write pin, and an enable output/read pin. The ones I have seen in DIP format for a breadboard typically are not clocked, and operate at 5v.

My issue is that I would like to find a chip out there that can have two sets of address bits and two sets of data bits, so one would be able to read and write to the same memory, with the added ability to read from a memory location seperate to that which you are currently writing to.

I have tried looking, but I am always suprised to not be able to find this type of chip. If anyone knows of one out there that operates in this manner(preferred), or you know of a way to take 2 of the first kind of chip to accomplish this type of operation, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
search for "dual port RAM"

bob152637485

Joined Feb 11, 2017
What you are looking for is called "dual-ported RAM".

Depending on how much memory you need, you can roll your own using an FPGA (many/most of which have a fair amount of dual-ported cells, but "fair amount" is in relation to the amount of RAM they have in the first place).
I have thought of FPGA, but since I haven't pulled the trigger to get one yet(or learn VHDL, for that matter), I was hopig to find the integrated solution. Thanks for the proper terminology, I will modify my search. Any specific suggestions?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do the modified search and learn what you can. If you still have questions or need suggestions you will be in a much better position to narrow the scope of the discussion.