RadioShack says may file for bankruptcy

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In Canada they sold out and it was taken over by The Source, pretty much the same kind of store, although they only have a very small smattering of descrete components.
We have other component stores here that have much more extensive inventory.
Max.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Their prices are pretty high compared to other shops so no wonder they are going out of business. I would only use them if I needed the part immediately.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This is rather sad; not entirely unexpected though. In the 60's and 70's, Radio Shack was "the" place to go. I bought my first computers there; Radio Shack had the 1st home computer available in a retail store, and they had thousands of stores in a nationwide chain. They could've sewn up the home computer market. They even had employees at their stores that actually knew electronics.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Their prices are pretty high compared to other shops so no wonder they are going out of business. I would only use them if I needed the part immediately.
That's funny you say that because I bought the make components kits online from Make as I didn't realize Radio Shack sold them. Then I walked into one (hadn't been in one in years) and BAM more then half the cost for the same think. Luckly Make gave me no problems refunding me the difference.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think the failure of Radio Shack is related to its failure to define clearly what its business was. It started as parts and kits. Then, for whatever reason, it became "you have questions, we have blank looks." Then, it tried to do the cell phone market. But, does one really need such big stores to sell cell phones? In the meantime, DigiKey and Mouser seem to be doing quite well in the parts business. Both focused on service, meaning a very high percentage of in stock parts. "We can order it and have in in a week or two," doesn't sell. So can the customer, and usually at a lower price.

I am not suggesting what it should have focused on, but I am saying that when one went into a Radio Shack in the last 20 years or so, it was never quite clear whether it was a cell phone kiosk, a computer store, an electronics toy store, an audio store, or a hobby electronics store.

John

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Compare Jameco and RS and you will see the difference.

10 resistors in jameco-1$
5 resistors in RS-1.5$

47uF 16V capacitor at RS-0.40$x10$=4$
47uF 50V capacitor at Jameco-0.12$x10=1.2$

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
But, does one really need such big stores to sell cell phones?
Guessing you don't go into many cell phone stores. Verizon Wireless stores are always pretty big. Some of the authorized resellers are even bigger I never understand why they are so big think size of a CVS and then you find in the authorized stores they have dummy phones as demo's and no working phones.

Anyways that's besides the point you make. I agree RadioShack has no idea what they are and is probably the main reason they have failed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Verizon Wireless and its "Premium Retail Partners" sell a service as well. They don't sell computers, electronic kits, electronic toys, and parts. The point of my comment was that RS tried to sell cell phones as a sideline. I am not aware of any RS cell towers selling service. Verizon Wireless per se does not own its Premium Retail Partners and saves cost in that way.

As for the cost of parts, Jameco does not have any store conveniently near me, nor I presume, anywhere near ISB123. It is said in business that "service" will support a 10% price difference at best. In my business, that was a huge exaggeration. The price difference RS tried to support was simply unrealistic, particularly given the very limited (i.e., "blank look") support it gave to its parts sales.

My point was "focus," and RS didn't do that, because it apparently had no idea what it wanted to do.

John

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Verizon Wireless and its "Premium Retail Partners" sell a service as well. They don't sell computers, electronic kits, electronic toys, and parts. The point of my comment was that RS tried to sell cell phones as a sideline. I am not aware of any RS cell towers selling service. Verizon Wireless per se does not own its Premium Retail Partners and saves cost in that way.

As for the cost of parts, Jameco does not have any store conveniently near me, nor I presume, anywhere near ISB123. It is said in business that "service" will support a 10% price difference at best. In my business, that was a huge exaggeration. The price difference RS tried to support was simply unrealistic, particularly given the very limited (i.e., "blank look") support it gave to its parts sales.

My point was "focus," and RS didn't do that, because it apparently had no idea what it wanted to do.

John
I was only commenting on the part that I quoted about how you felt RS stores are oversided for selling cell phones even if it's a side business and sounds like your quantifing the size of Verzion store and their authroized retailer stores by saying that because they also sell the service they need bigger stores which totally makes no sense to me.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
RadioShack is the only electronics supply store near where I live, so if they go out of business and I need something immediately, I'll pretty much be out of luck. Hopefully they get replaced by an even better store (I would love to have a Jameco up here!).

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
RadioShack is the only electronics supply store near where I live, so if they go out of business and I need something immediately, I'll pretty much be out of luck. Hopefully they get replaced by an even better store (I would love to have a Jameco up here!).
Same for me. I'm not holding my breath there is just not enough cosumer demand to support retail locations that sell electronic components.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
It probably wont cease to operate but they will most likely start closing the shops in smaller towns where they generate less profit but then Jameco could buy the closed shops from RS.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was only commenting on the part that I quoted about how you felt RS stores are oversided for selling cell phones even if it's a side business and sounds like your quantifing the size of Verzion store and their authroized retailer stores by saying that because they also sell the service they need bigger stores which totally makes no sense to me.
Verizon needs bigger stores, because it is much more successful. Service + devices trumps devices any day. What is so hard about that to understand? Ever wait in line at a RS to see the product? In my experience, never. Yes, I have waited at the the cashier at an RS store, because that person had no idea what he was doing. At the real Verizon in my area, an appointment is advisable, they are that busy.

You are still missing my point. RS failed to identify its business and FOCUS; Verizon didn't.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
At least Digikey have my order on the doorstep the next day, not quite the same as if it is a real emergency, but close.
I CAN drive across town to a electronics outlet, but by the time I pay their price and factor in time and gas, there is not much difference except a few hours.
Max.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Maybe because people would rather order from let's say Jameco,wait 2 days for item and still have more money in their pocket for future projects then paying double in RS and wasting the budget.