RadioShack Learning Lab

mattman059

Joined Aug 17, 2007
I am a beginner in electronics, and though i have sufficient interest in learning all about circuits and electronic design I am not sure I am understanding the concepts very well.

I purchased the electronics learning lab from radioshack a couple of days ago and have been trying frivolously for since then to complete some of the projects included within the books. Some problems that I have been having are in one example...you connect two control two components through two different voltages (3 and 9v) through a DPDT switch. But...when ever i turn on the power, i get the led (component 1) to turn on, but the buzzer (component 2) does nothing, ive switched the DPDT switch up and down (it's supposed to go up for the project to work) but nothing happens. the second problem is on a project where you connect 4 led's..well only three of my led's will come on.

I know that sometimes it's a loose wire and i've corrected this many times. but so far i find myself sitting staring at the schematic knowing very well t hat i followed it correctly and not finding any loose wires but still no luck getting the project to work. So i came across this website and I was hoping that maybe someone could give me some useful advice as to what i should do to try to get my projects to work better.

Thank you.

Shaggy

Joined Jul 24, 2007
I would check the polarity on the non-functioning diode in your second circuit. As for your DPDT switch it's not quite clear what you're trying to do with the switch as it can be wired several different ways and I can't tell how you want to wire it from your description. As a general tip, make sure you understand which rows/columns in your breadboard share common points as each board is a little different. Usually there will be at least two power rails that share many common points, and rows in which small groups of holes are tied together.

mattman059

Joined Aug 17, 2007
Thank you, I will look at my board today and post back if i have any more questions

ps. is it possible/easy to post what the circuit is supposed to look like as well as give the types of parts used in the circuit..maybe that would help explain it a little better

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Thank you, I will look at my board today and post back if i have any more questions

ps. is it possible/easy to post what the circuit is supposed to look like as well as give the types of parts used in the circuit..maybe that would help explain it a little better
That is a good idea. Once it is clearer what you are working with, I expect you will get more responses.

hgmjr