radio tuning

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You are missing the purpose of the tuning circuit. It always has all frequencies applied to it, but uses frequency selectivity to select only one narrow range to be passed on to the IF amp.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Is there any other setup in the radio to allow only the particular frequency to rlc circuit ??

still i have doubt :confused:
I'm not certain what you're asking. If you're asking .."Is there any other method used to pass or reject frequencies?" ... Then yes...
Crystal Resonators in the I.F stage. ;)

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Raks, you're right, there are more than just one tuned circuit in a superheterodyne receiver. One is IF strip which is fixed at 455 kHz for broadcast AM radio. The antenae picks up all frequencies in the sky around it. But there is a tuner just after the antenae. This is usually an adjustable capacitor in parallel with an inductor. It sweeps through the entire AM broadcast band -- from 55kHz to 1600kHz. Then it is amplified and sent into one input of a mixer. There it is combined with the signal given off by a local oscillator. Mixers add and subtract, but the 455kHz tuned IF strip into which the tuner outputs snags only the sum. This signal at 455kHz contains the original message signal (the music). After amplification the message is aquired by the detector then amplified and sent to the speaker.

Perhaps someone with the software will give you a diagram?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There is a curcuit that ground out all frequencies except
the one you are tune too. Maybe its the r/c curcuit he is
talking about. Tuning has new problems,you can have the
best radio and pass by a pirate station that will overpower
your unit,also fine tuning is thing of the pass.There a lot of
taxi's that emit noise. Tuning has a new set of problems
that expense will not solve. Stand to be corrected.

Last edited:

raks_universe

Joined Mar 15, 2009
cdrive
yes i view it.

It explains that
on tuning capacitance value is varied and so Xc(capacitive reactance) varies

then it was said that there exists a frequency in air at which (XL=Xc) is satisfied.

My question is why the circuit allows that resonance frequency only and why it does not select other frequency and remain in unresonance condition

Is it is a nature of the circuit to select only the resonant frequency ??

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
At this point it has become apparent to me that the OP needs more than can be stuffed into this thread. Does anyone have a link to a good "How Radio Works" page?

raks_universe

Joined Mar 15, 2009
explain ric,every one wants to know. ric no such thing
where are you reading this,you keep going back to it.
IT DON'T EXIST
SORRY for the inconvenience
(it is not ric it is rlc)

RLC series circuit = Resistor(R),Inductor(L),capacitor(C) connected in series

similarly
RLC parallel circuit = Resistor(R),Inductor(L),capacitor(C) connected in parallel

commonly i stated it as rlc circuit !!!!

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Before we go any further, do you understand basic theory of inductors and capacitors? You cannot understand resonance without first understanding how these components react to EMF and current flow.