Quick micro SD card socket

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Pretty cool, what would you do now if you wanted to read the card contents on a PC? So basically now, all the data can only be viewed by the device you connect it to.... I would have gone the extra mile and just bought a socket, and then you can use more than one SD card and you can still access the data from a PC if you would have saved it in FAT16 or FAT32 format.... Plus you can make use of the Card detect and the write protect inputs from the socket.....:D

SD_CARD1.jpg

SD_CARD2.jpg

B. Morse

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Pretty cool, what would you do now if you wanted to read the card contents on a PC? So basically now, all the data can only be viewed by the device you connect it to.... I would have gone the extra mile and just bought a socket, and then you can use more than one SD card and you can still access the data from a PC if you would have saved it in FAT16 or FAT32 format.... Plus you can make use of the Card detect and the write protect inputs from the socket.....:D

View attachment 19101

View attachment 19102

B. Morse
The micro SDHC card is removable. :confused:

The card detect is all done from software. You just query the SPI interface and read the CID. If it's missing you will know.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
good idea nsaspook. (and Bmorse)

I like the minimalist design.

And if you can pick up those adapters in a 2 pack, you are golden.

You have yours for the circuit, and the non-soldered one for the PC.

For folks who build data-loggers with no PC connectivity, this would be a nice and easy solution.

@BMorse, great minds.. But I like the less fragile nature of nsaspooks design.
However, I like the re-use behind yours, as well.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
@ nsaspook: cool, didn't notice the MICRO till you mentioned it...

@ Retched : I don't see why mine is more fragile than his, same concept, except his pins are soldered to the contact pads (which is good, but not as sturdy as PCB mounted pins), mine are mounted through a PCB.... Plus with mine, you can use a Micro SD adapter too and use those cards, plus standard SD cards and MMC....

B. Morse

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
B, from the look of it, it 'felt' fragile. I suppose if the original port was from a well made piece, it is good.

I had the feeling of snagging a finger on the sharp edges.

I may be wrong. I know you are a 'ell of a designer and craftsman, so I should have figured it wouldn't be "fragile".

I like them.