Quick help - what is this called?

Rune2504

Joined Jun 18, 2017
Hello ACC

I need help with finding something to buy. It's the metal connecting LM18650 batteries, or any battery at all, but the metal I can put in top so the batteries will be connected.

Ty

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Use copper and solder it on. Use a diamond file to damage the coating on the ends of the batteries. Tin the ends, quickly!
Tin the copper. Solder them together, quickly!

This is a job for at least a 100 watt soldering gun because you must move fast!

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
It's called a battery tab. It is usually a nickel based alloy that is WELDED to the top of the batteries. If you try to solder the batteries, you run a risk of permanently damaging the batteries.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good luck finding nickle sheet metal.:rolleyes:
Is there a easy way to gather the battries, put them in parallel connection together?
I use a rubber band if I'm going to attach tabs. Other people use battery holders and don't solder at all.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
NPS (Ni200) aka pure Nickel is what is mostly used for making RC batteries back in the day however some years ago it changed to NPSS as a substitute for Ni200 do to less cost.

Here is a website about making these connections for building battery packs. Maybe you can find something useful in there. They also offer some info about building a Jig for holding the batteries and that is kind of what mine was made from. however my system has the battery slots milled into the wood and I have groves in the ends where I connect strong rubber bands. If I use different type of cells I can still use the Jig just turn the parts around to flat side and add the cells and clamp it together with bands. Also as stated a Good 100 watt iron is important and want to make sure your connection is good.

https://www.inlandhobby.com/v/vspfiles/files/battery_pack/building_rc_battery_packs.htm

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I've made several NiMH battery packs to replace those in a dustbuster and a cordless drill by just adding a small amount of flux to the battery terminal and then soldering a copper wire to it quickly with a large soldering gun.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've made several NiMH battery packs to replace those in a dustbuster and a cordless drill by just adding a small amount of flux to the battery terminal and then soldering a copper wire to it quickly with a large soldering gun.
I've soldered them successfully as well. But I've also soldered them unsuccessfully (ruined batteries). Seems to be a crapshoot; I suspect one of the reasons factories weld instead of solder is unacceptable risk of damage.

If you must solder, you need a high wattage solder gun and you have to work fast as #12 said. Even then, be aware of the risk.