Quick and dirty conversion from 12v DC to 6v DC?

Blank_Stare

Joined Jul 29, 2017
I **think** it should be as easy as placing a couple of resisters inline, between the car battery, and the 6v DC device I want to power. (A Trail Cam)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if I am correct, and exactly which resisters to buy, please?

Also, I think the two resisters have to be placed in opposite directions (assuming they are soldered into the wiring, side by side,) but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I probably don't need a diagram, just a few words to clarify things. Knowing exactly which resisters to buy would be crucial, however.

Thanks

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
What you thinking is not going to work it is called a voltage divider.

What You need is lm7806 or a lm7805 and a diode and 2 caps.
Screenshot from 2017-11-17 22-17-40.png

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I **think** it should be as easy as placing a couple of resisters inline, between the car battery, and the 6v DC device I want to power. (A Trail Cam)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if I am correct, and exactly which resisters to buy, please?
Think again. We typically run 10X the load current in the divider, so whether or not it's practical depends on the load current.
Also, I think the two resisters have to be placed in opposite directions (assuming they are soldered into the wiring, side by side,) but I'm not 100% sure of that.
The resistors would be placed in series and they have no polarity.

You'd probably be better off getting a 6V regulator and a couple caps.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

I probably don't need a diagram, just a few words to clarify things. Knowing exactly which resisters to buy would be crucial, however.

Thanks
You have to factor your load in when calculating values for a voltage divider. A Zener shunt regulator and dropper resistor behaves more predictably. Everyone who suggested 3-terminal regulators are on the right track - as long as your load doesn't need more than 1A.

The application notes describe how to increase current handling with an external pass transistor.

There are (allegedly) plug in replacement SMPSU 3-terminal regulators that can handle more current - but I haven't actually seen them offered for sale yet.