Question: switching power supply failure

dpark07

Joined Jan 31, 2008
my cd karaoke component just went bad yesterday.

there is no power and it's making a little sound when I turn on the switch.

it's like continuously making "tick, tick, tick..." sound about every second or so.

does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it?

26W 110~220V/60Hz with 250V/3A fuse

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
You should consider opening it up if it isn't covered by warrantee. Check for any blown fuses or obvious signs of failure. If you know the voltage levels that are supposed to be there, you can test for them with a multimeter.

Perhaps you can contact the manufacturer and convince them to 'stand behind their product' if all doesn't go well.

Steve

dpark07

Joined Jan 31, 2008
thanks for your advise.

unfortunately it's out of warranty, so I looked inside and the power supply is rectagular in shape attached to the right side bottom of the component.

I'm not really good with electronic/technical stuff but I'd like to find out what really is wrong before I take it to a service electrician.

is it safe to detach the power supply's metal cover and look inside?

there is a yellow warning sign on the cover that i might get electricuted if something goes wrong :(

any help would be greatly appreciated.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
hey,

If you're unexperienced with electronics, then nobody in good conscience can recommend you tinkering with any dangerous voltages. However, you should be able to measure what is originating from the converter module. So, 120V goes in, x volts DC comes out. Hopefully, there is a voltage written somewhere on the silkscreen of the PCB or on a label somewhere.

Sometimes it is very hard to fix things like that without intimate knowledge of its workings. A novice can only hope for an obvious solution such as replacing a fried components, or replacing a power supply.

Steve

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
a Tic Tic sound would indicate to me that the PSU might actually be OK, and is "Tripping" because of an overload condition further down the chain

rherber1

Joined Jan 6, 2008
Gadget is most likely right. The tick-tick sound is due to the power supply going into current overload start/stop cycling. Unless you know anything about electronics, and more specifically, switch mode supply repairs DON'T interfere with it. You will have to take it to someone to repair it (if you really are prepared to pay for a repair) and if they see that it has been "played with" they may refuse to touch it.

dpark07

Joined Jan 31, 2008
thanks for your helpful information.

if I understand correctly, so the power supply unit is actually ok but the problem may exist on the connector itself from PSU to the main board?

sorry.. I'm not very knowledgable in electronic circuits and stuff.

or the main board or component may be the cause?

Dave