Question & Answers - What you think?

CrktMan

Joined Nov 29, 2005
a) What is the minimum power rating of Zener diode?
b) What prevents Zener diode from being damaged if the device is accidentally disconnected?

My Answers:

a) Minimum poer rating is 0.5-w, 6.8-v, 70-mA
b) I think if a bypass capacitor or a resistor is connceted in parallel with the diode, it can be saved!!!

Please leave opinion here.

Thanks.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Cktman,

In question ( a ) ... don't overextend yourself. All they asked for was the minimum power rating ... don't answer more than what they ask. 500 mW or 1/2 W should be sufficient. I would look at some datasheets and make sure the smallest power rating was 500 mW.

In question ( b ), they are not talking about additional things in the circuit. Look at the way the Zener is constructed. That is the feature they are talking about in that question.

CrktMan

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by JoeJester@Dec 9 2005, 04:39 PM
Cktman,

In question ( a ) ... don't overextend yourself. All they asked for was the minimum power rating ... don't answer more than what they ask. 500 mW or 1/2 W should be sufficient. I would look at some datasheets and make sure the smallest power rating was 500 mW.

In question ( b ), they are not talking about additional things in the circuit. Look at the way the Zener is constructed. That is the feature they are talking about in that question.
[post=12339]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi Joe,

You are right. As I was not happy with my answer for (B) either. I also think it s'd be within the Zener diode mechanism, ..... but have to look further...