Question about wiring a negative ion generator as a static grass applicator

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Another question though:
On the woodland scenics grass applicator you can see that instead of having a wire run to metal mesh that the grass falls through, there is instead a spiked metal plate that sits above the mesh and makes no contact with it.

Would this be a better method to charge the grass than having a wire connected to the mesh directly? because I'd like to avoid running a wire to the mesh if possible, that way it would allow me to make multiple covers with different sized meshes.
Why not a wire with a plug so each screen had it's own connection. Or a ring terminal and that would go under a screw that comes from the module?

After watching all those and more Youtubes about this, there was one talking about the "grass" it's self. Are you using the right kind? Something called "static grass"?

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
nah man, I just wanted something a little more powerful. I'm not impressed with the fly swatters myself that's all.
A number of years back those fly swatters had different, and significantly more powerful circuitry. I took 5 of them apart, soldered the high voltage outputs together in series and fired it up. That monstrosity fired a continuous arc that would jump a 3" and was probably 1/16" to 1/8" thick.
It probably shouldn't have worked but it did.

That being said, thanks for the site. it took me a minute to realize it wasn't the place I ordered one from because it has the exact same products and layout as Chaney electronics where I bought a generator from.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Why not a wire with a plug so each screen had it's own connection. Or a ring terminal and that would go under a screw that comes from the module?

After watching all those and more Youtubes about this, there was one talking about the "grass" it's self. Are you using the right kind? Something called "static grass"?
yeah I have a little jar of static grass, it's very short though.