Question about updating MPLAB IDE

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
I have MPLAB IDE v. 8.56 with HTSoft Hi-C installed on my computer. The current version of MPLAB is 8.8 I think. It seems like I'd read somewhere before that you have to completely uninstall MPLAB before updating it to the current version. Can someone tell me if this is true or not?

Also, will my install of hi-c and all my projects remain in tact? I've never updated MPLAB before because I've been afraid I'd lose a bunch of stuff. Thanks for the help.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi ke5nnt.

You can uninstall the old version of MPLAB and install the newer version without losing Hi-Tech or any of your files. Hi-Tech is installed separately, and your files are saved on your computer. You can open them with the newer version of MPLAB once it's installed.

Regards,
Der Strom

Beware that the newest version of Hi Tech C has had some changes to make it more like the Microchip version. Some code will now return errors.
It seems Microchip have bought out Hi Tech and so the yare trying to make the compilers more similar.

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
Uninstall MPLAB IDE>download new version installer>install new version> all projects lost... crap

Hope I have them all on my other computer.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Uninstall MPLAB IDE>download new version installer>install new version> all projects lost... crap

Hope I have them all on my other computer.
They should be saved in a project folder in your C drive somewhere. You didn't save the projects in your MPLAB download folder, did you?

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
All of the projects were saved in the directory:
C>electronics

I can't remember if this was a directory that MPLAB creates on its own when it installs on the HDD, or if I created it myself. Either way, the folder was wiped out during the update because I know my stuff was in there prior to updating. Let this be a note to others, probably a good idea to back up all of your project files before you update MPLAB.

On the plus side, I have a desktop and a laptop, all of my projects were on both computers, and I only updated 1 to see the effects of doing so. Hence, I still have all my projects on the other computer thankfully, spare for maybe an example or two I might have been poking with on just the one PC, but nothing important was lost.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
All of the projects were saved in the directory:
C>electronics

I can't remember if this was a directory that MPLAB creates on its own when it installs on the HDD, or if I created it myself. Either way, the folder was wiped out during the update because I know my stuff was in there prior to updating. Let this be a note to others, probably a good idea to back up all of your project files before you update MPLAB.

On the plus side, I have a desktop and a laptop, all of my projects were on both computers, and I only updated 1 to see the effects of doing so. Hence, I still have all my projects on the other computer thankfully, spare for maybe an example or two I might have been poking with on just the one PC, but nothing important was lost.
Yeah, it's always a good idea to make your own folder and save all your projects there. I'm still surprised it wiped all the projects out, though... That's never happened to me....

I'm glad you still have them all, though. Sorry for the misinformation :(

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
Not to worry. I don't blame anyone but myself. In all honesty, it's really a good idea to back up important information anytime you upgrade anything, I should have just backed it up regardless.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I think it is pretty silly for an installer to delete anything that wasn't created by the previous installer.

Worse case it should ask if you want to delete project files with a default of "No", not just do it.