Question about the diversity of these boards

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
I have noticed that quite a few people who post here are from India. Now don't get the wrong idea, I have many real life friends of Indian descent, so I don't have a problem with that, but I am curious on why so many are from that specific country. Is electronics booming over there or something?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i was begining to feel it to.
simple reason is
out of 6 billion ppl in the whole world(this is an old survey)
1 billion is india's population.
also take into account the non residential indians and the figure rockets even further.
another reason is education is the only thing an average indian is concerned about. (u wont believe the kind of pressure and competition we face here)
infrastructure is in its growth stage in india which can be cited as another reason.
dont worry i havent seen many regular members here (some just vanish away after registration)

one little thing that bothers me is, i didnt see any one from japan here ,i know language is a bar but still..(i m indian by birth and japanese by heart. :)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In a way it is too bad that the board is unable to respond to non-English speakers, but that is the only limitation I am aware of. If anyone can make up a question that is at all understanable ( and meets the posting requirement), we will try to answer it.

Not everyone posts his/her country of origin.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Haha, that reminds me recca, a while back one of my friends whose father and sister came from India(he grew up here in the US) joked how he wishes he went to school in India, since his father is a millionaire and his sister is a Doctor.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
one more thing since the question was about the diversity .
u dont have to worry since India in itself is a vastly diverse country.
we have all types of religions here viz:- Hindu, Islam,Christianity,Buddhism,
Sikh,Parsi (perhaps from Persia),and many more cant even remember.
India has 32+ states and union territories each with different dialects,
food habits,custom and cultures. the ways of life of ppl frm diff state differ very much like foreign countries since weather conditions change drastically
from north to south and east to west.
p.s. our country is good for tourism not for residence :(

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
hey since mr beenthere mentioned something abt the questions being intelligible.
an event where the language difference proved comical came to my mind.
i read this in some magazine way back.so i dont remember exactly.

an American company made a deal with a Japanese manufacturing company.
the request they sent to Japanese ppl read something like this
' we require 100000 pieces of the X goods.
however 3 faulty pieces per thousand pieces wud be acceptable to us'

in reply the Japanese manufacturers sent a letter along with the goods.
the letter read something as.
' we Japanese dont understand much what Americans write but along with
the 10000 pieces we send 30 faulty pieces' :D

p.s. - ignore my merchandising abilities in the reconstruction of the business
statements.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have noticed that quite a few people who post here are from India. Now don't get the wrong idea, I have many real life friends of Indian descent, so I don't have a problem with that, but I am curious on why so many are from that specific country. Is electronics booming over there or something?
It is my experience in the UK, that both the Indian and Chinese value the field of engineering as a discipline. Electronics is the modern engineering (one could argue that in its present form is only around 50 years old), and hence is something people are encouraged to get into.

A friend of mine from Indian heritage tell me that his family, like many from that part of the world, value the big-5 careers: Medical Doctor, Dentist, Accountant, Lawyer and Engineer. How accurate this attitude is across Indian culture is open to debate, but its an interesting idea and one that explains why engineering as whole is so popular in India.

Incidently on a side topic, it is my ambition to go and tour India one day (I can get a bit of Cricket in whilst I am over there!).

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
beware mr dave
the boys in our country cheat a lot while playing cricket.
and at least they dont disappoint as much as our international teams.
of course you are welcome to India anytime.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
beware mr dave
the boys in our country cheat a lot while playing cricket.
and at least they dont disappoint as much as our international teams.
of course you are welcome to India anytime.
I won't drag this discussion off topic, but there are a few high-profile example of cheating at the highest levels of all Cricket - Azharruddin in India, Cronje in South Africa and several others. Sadly the events in the Carribean (ref. Bob Woolmer) seem to suggest this side of the game has not gone away and probably won't.

If you wish to discuss Cricket feel free to start a new thread (even though the World Cup has been a disaster for us both!), but I don't want to take this off-topic from the OP.

Dave