Question about measuring ESR of capacitors

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I see that the element can be on the board but to be 100% sure what i am doing want to ask should the board be powered with it`s adapter.

I am asking in this case for notebook motherboard

thanks in advance

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I want measure esr. I don't think I have manual. It's cheap esr with lcd from eBay. I will tell model when I am at service
Without the manual, how do you know the "cheap esr with lcd from ebay", which tells us essentially nothing, can make the measurement you require? Testing the AC charateristics of a component is not the province of cheap testers.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...should the board be powered with it`s adapter.
No, not normally. You might get away with it but it would likely interfere with the measurement. The presence of a DC voltage on the cap is allowed for (or certainly should be) but having an AC component there would mix with the applied test signal.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I am still not reading all of your answers but maybe i have more important question :

Clipboard01.jpg

They are powering the notebook board with its adapter. The questions are:
are they using analogue meter?
What range they use?
What they expect to see to tell "this capacitor is for replacement"

thanx in advance

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am still not reading all of your answers but maybe i have more important question :

View attachment 158078

They are powering the notebook board with its adapter. The questions are:
are they using analogue meter?
What range they use?
What they expect to see to tell "this capacitor is for replacement"

thanx in advance
In my opinion they are just looking for DC voltage (probably less than 20V) to identify where the power is no longer seen. No sign of ESR testing unless that is written somewhere else.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
wayneh thanks.

There are 3 things in this pdf about testing capacitor - one said that esr meters can measure esr without desolding caps, some words about measuring with C-Meter and that with picture was the third one.

The topic was began with questions about esr meter but this with picture was like question 2:)

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have a "live" power source while measuring those caps.
If you are trying to determine whether the cap is good or bad by it's ESR simply testing in circuit (without power) should suffice if the meter has the capability.