Question about leaded and lead-free solder

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Somewhat non-intuitively, the biggest exposure most shooters experience, in a form that can be harmful, is the plume of lead compounds coming out of the gun from the lead styphnate or lead azide in the cartridge primer, not from the lead contained in the bullet.

The people who've had serious exposures have all been instructors, competition shooters, range maintainers, etc; those with frequent and/or lengthy contact.
Generally the lead coming out of the barrel of the gun is far more hazardous. The evidence to this fact is very well documented.

jbeng

Joined Sep 10, 2006
I've worked in the electronics industry for most of 37 years, soldering nearly every day. I also know many people who are sport shooters (I am as well) & firearm instructors. I can't name a single person who has ever had an issue with lead (that I know of) from either of those two fields. Interestingly, the only person I've ever known who has had a lead exposure issue is my friend Tom, who works as a CNC machinist with a brass foundry company which makes water and gas valves.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The context of this thread is toxicological, not morphological. Is that lost on you or are you trying to be funny/clever?
Actually I was attempting some vicious satire, which evidently failed. My point is still that perhaps the level of hazard is such that care is the correct response, rather than panic. I have had a fair amount of lead exposure in my early years, followed by a rather satisfactory 45 year career as an engineer, followed by a successful part time business after retirement. In retrospect, though, it may be that the lead exposure has resulted in my lack of fear, although that may also be the result of training and conditioning during my early adult years. If you know that you are in control of the situation there is no need to fear. Can that attitude be the result of lead exposure? I really don't know.
But I certainly would caution everybody to never eat circuit boards or lead solder.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The whole lead thing is over blown, coming from the removal of lead from paint and gasoline. Those were the really serious lead problems, because they were in the nonmetallic form of lead. Lead in the metal form is really pretty benign, its's the nonmetallic form that is dangerous.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Most shooters are probably exposed to lead far more frequently than someone with an electronics hobby.

And that isn't counting the shooters that reload. Their exposure would be comparatively significant yet I have never heard of a case where a person that loads has suffered from lead poisoning.
I can weigh in on this. Reloading in general is no different than soldering in that both require a learned level of skill and both require developing good work habits. Thinking back I likely began both a few years ago, well OK maybe pushing 60 years ago but here nor there. Using lead solder and loading lead bullets it helps to have and use good sanitary habits which means washing ones hands.

Below are a few bullets.
Jacketed and Lead.png

The bullets on the left have a copper jacket around a lead core, the bullets on the right are plain lead bullets. Since the bullets on the left have the lead contained in their jackets so when handling them lead exposure is minimal. So how about when those bullets leave a barrel?

A good friend of mine was a police department range officer. During routine blood work on a routine doctor visit his blood showed elevated lead levels. The range his department shot at had poor ventilation. All shooting ranges are required to have adequate ventilation which means large working air handlers. The problem with indoor ranges is during the winter seasons where moving smoke filled air out means moving heated air inside and heat cost money. Brief exposure is not an issue but my friend, being a range officer, had daily extended exposure. A good rule here is if walking into an indoor range firing line you are in a cloud of smoke avoid breathing. :) OK, better put find a better range. Reloaders are exposed to lead during the reloading process in the same manner a person working an electronic assembly soldering assembly line were. Both require adequate ventilation.

Reloaders also face another problem with lead in cleaning their brass cases and depriming their cases. With the exception of the new lead free primers the common primers used in loading contain Lead styphnate and when cleaning brass cases the lead can be released in the form of dust. Like handling lead be it solder or bullets the effects can be eliminated using good work habits. Cleanliness is important and common sense should prevail.

The only people I know of, be it shooting or working a wave solder assembly line who ever had issues were those with high exposure in poor working environments. Yes, as a child I may have ingested some lead paint chips gnawing on a windowsill while teething.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I can weigh in on this. Reloading in general is no different than soldering in that both require a learned level of skill and both require developing good work habits. Thinking back I likely began both a few years ago, well OK maybe pushing 60 years ago but here nor there. Using lead solder and loading lead bullets it helps to have and use good sanitary habits which means washing ones hands.

Below are a few bullets.
View attachment 148511

The bullets on the left have a copper jacket around a lead core, the bullets on the right are plain lead bullets. Since the bullets on the left have the lead contained in their jackets so when handling them lead exposure is minimal. So how about when those bullets leave a barrel?

A good friend of mine was a police department range officer. During routine blood work on a routine doctor visit his blood showed elevated lead levels. The range his department shot at had poor ventilation. All shooting ranges are required to have adequate ventilation which means large working air handlers. The problem with indoor ranges is during the winter seasons where moving smoke filled air out means moving heated air inside and heat cost money. Brief exposure is not an issue but my friend, being a range officer, had daily extended exposure. A good rule here is if walking into an indoor range firing line you are in a cloud of smoke avoid breathing. :) OK, better put find a better range. Reloaders are exposed to lead during the reloading process in the same manner a person working an electronic assembly soldering assembly line were. Both require adequate ventilation.

Reloaders also face another problem with lead in cleaning their brass cases and depriming their cases. With the exception of the new lead free primers the common primers used in loading contain Lead styphnate and when cleaning brass cases the lead can be released in the form of dust. Like handling lead be it solder or bullets the effects can be eliminated using good work habits. Cleanliness is important and common sense should prevail.

The only people I know of, be it shooting or working a wave solder assembly line who ever had issues were those with high exposure in poor working environments. Yes, as a child I may have ingested some lead paint chips gnawing on a windowsill while teething.

Ron

Back to the original question, about the consequences of using lead solder on an unleaded board.
The big consequence is that the soldered connections you make will be more reliable and not need as much heat to make. Just be sure to wash your hands after you are done, and NEVER eat the circuit board, or even chew on it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

This is possibly a stupid question so please forgive me.

If you have a pcb with lead-free tinned pads, do you have to use lead-free solder or is leaded fine?

What would be the consequences of doing this?
Industry was still figuring it out when I was repairing TVs & VGA monitors. Most were dodgy soldering and I routinely reworked with 60/40.

Most countries comply with RoHS so they can export to the EU. Having non compliant stuff floating around is very bad news because certification is expensive and they have to guarantee RoHS compliant production lines cant get contaminated.

There are various exemptions for safety critical equipment, and its OK in hobby stuff - till you try to sell it anywhere in the EU.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Back to the original question, about the consequences of using lead solder on an unleaded board.
The big consequence is that the soldered connections you make will be more reliable and not need as much heat to make. Just be sure to wash your hands after you are done, and NEVER eat the circuit board, or even chew on it.
Can't argue with that. I agree and personally I still like and use 60/40 solder. :)

Ron

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Well known enough by anyone who wants to be informed before switching from Sn/Pb solder to Pb-free solder.
If you are making a medical device you would also know that you don't have to switch because of the added danger of the medical device failing from whiskers.

(I think the military and space usage have exemptions, too.)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The bottom line is, if you are in commercial production of electronic circuits you need to follow RoHS regulations.
If you are a hobbyist or are assembling mission critical components (e.g. aerospace, medical) forego RoHS compliance.