Question about installing a signal light relay to my Motorino Xpn scooter.

icandybee

Joined Nov 1, 2022
I am trying to install a signal light relay to my Motorino Xpn scooter. Only the relay has the connector with black, green and grey wires and the scooter has green, grey and white. The green is ground definately, but if I put the grey to grey that leaves black and white. Which makes no sense to me. I've been searching online for weeks now, but, can't find the answer anywhere. I appreciate your time.

icandybee

Joined Nov 1, 2022
The relay has a one way plug , so it should line up and work straight away.
Yes, but unfortunately the scooter doesn't have a plug it's just wires. The relay has the female end. Which has black, green and grey wires and the scooter has white, green and grey.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Every morning driving to job with my Segway Ninebot-ES scooter I am wondering why the designers didnt made that all system much cheaper by eliminating the microprocessor and SMPS by means just put the full battery to motor from very beginning and when speed is okay, then release the lever. Acceleration anyway is mild enough with those 300 W, and if someone wants to get the unhappy end, why to try stop him do what he is longing for. Just release the button and everything work better then now being overregulated. In middle my path is the ideally paved velo-road with no people or barriers in six o clock morning, I being the car driver with 1.6 million km experience feel even 40 per hour is still safe, but on the bridge over 1 km wide our river even those 25 km/h electronic limit is sure too unsafe and may result with a fall into water if totally unlucky and headless. So, electronic speed control is abusive and non-effective. But SMPS loss factor is equivalent or even weights over the small energy savings produced by energy-reversive brakes (which are damn ineffective in this model, at least twice as ineffective as bicycle brakes, which are twice as ineffective as car brakes. So, when I cross the narrow tunnel, I fire the gheadlamp, but if someone is driving ahead of me, I can stop sure too late, thus I must use the shoe soles. This is a true cost for UNNEEDED electronics.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A friend of mine has a vehicle that is controlled exactly that way. Operating the drive control applies full voltage to the motor, and that results in a wheel spinning start every time. That is exactly the same as driving an engine driven vehicle by popping the clutch and stomping on the gas pedal.
In addition, it would put a great load on both the battery and the motor, resulting in much shorter travel per charge and much shorter life for both the battery and the motor.
A directly controlled PWM driver could be OK, that would work. And mechanical brakes would be good but they are less efficient, although much more effective. Regenerative braking is useful and it can recover battery charge, but it really is only useful for slowing gently to a lower speed, it is no good for stopping, it can never be good for that last bit of a stop.

I suggest that you sell the electric bike and get a decent ten or fifteen speed mountain bike. They can accelerate much faster and there is no limit on the speed. And they are lighter and much easier to steer.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I suggest that you sell the electric bike and get a decent ten or fifteen speed mountain bike. They can accelerate much faster and there is no limit on the speed. And they are lighter and much easier to steer.
Have such. BUT, at our side of World the russia with pūtin is too near (sorry to use no Capital letters, but You may sooner shoot me than find I am using the Great letters for undignified), it stays just 300 km afar, thatswhy bicycles are hardly stolen thing here as soon as for 5 seconds You not keep it close. (One of State Secrets - most of all prizon inmates are russian nationality and only small minority Latvian.) With bicycle is prohibited to sit in bus, forbidden to come into shop or mall, but with any bendable scooter both are permitted. Thus, in the city environment bicycle is forced out how much the city governors are able to. Because the public transport with it clearly enormous ticket prices are eternal source of their unofficial incomes what stands far higher than Police ability to investigate that.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I did not understand the situation in your area. I am not familiar with any brand of electric scooters in your area, and so my advice is not right for that area. Nor do I choose to be critical of no capital letters. I can understand your writing very well, it all makes sense.
But the additional electronics on an electric scooter are for both maximum battery life and to make it safer for those with no skill in safe riding, because proof of ability is usually not required to purchase a scooter.

icandybee

Joined Nov 1, 2022
A friend of mine has a vehicle that is controlled exactly that way. Operating the drive control applies full voltage to the motor, and that results in a wheel spinning start every time. That is exactly the same as driving an engine driven vehicle by popping the clutch and stomping on the gas pedal.
In addition, it would put a great load on both the battery and the motor, resulting in much shorter travel per charge and much shorter life for both the battery and the motor.
A directly controlled PWM driver could be OK, that would work. And mechanical brakes would be good but they are less efficient, although much more effective. Regenerative braking is useful and it can recover battery charge, but it really is only useful for slowing gently to a lower speed, it is no good for stopping, it can never be good for that last bit of a stop.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What sort of signal light?? Stop, turn, or what is it signaling?
And is this a replacement for a failed relay, or something new? If it is a replacement, how many terminals does the previous relay have, and how many terminals does the new relay have?? Many relays have markings by the terminals that convey a lot of information. Do any of the relay terminals have any markings?? Those markings do have meanings, at least to some of us.