question about heat sink compound

cocobolo95

Joined Mar 10, 2016
I have found suitable replacements for the twin IRF350 in my max 20 plasma cutter. The old MOSFET did not have heat sink compound on them.

My question is, would putting the compound on the replacements interfere with the drain part of MOSFET as drain is "the case"? Thank you.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have found suitable replacements for the twin IRF350 in my max 20 plasma cutter. The old MOSFET did not have heat sink compound on them.

My question is, would putting the compound on the replacements interfere with the drain part of MOSFET as drain is "the case"? Thank you.
Using a thin layer of heat sink compound between the case and heat sink is a good idea.
The compound should have no effect on the electrical connections.
Even if there is an electrical connection to the case through the heat sink, the mounting bolt will provide a good current path between case and heat sink.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Haven't seen your application, but soldering a mosfet can provide both good heat and electrical conduction. Of course, that is not possible when the mount is aluminum. Can you provide more information and maybe a picture?

John