Question about equivalent transistor

phonefan

Joined Apr 2, 2017
I'm making an audio mixer circuit from Forrest Mims' Engineers' Mini notebook. He says to use the 2N3819 transistor. My local parts shop doesn't carry it. They have the BS107. Is that equivalent? What parameters should I be looking at anyway when searching for equivalents?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
No, it's not equivalent. The 2N3819 is a depletion-mode JFET, and the BS107 is an enhancement-mode MOSFET-- a completely different animal. They are NOT interchangeable.

A good possibility as a replacement would be a 2N4416; like the 2N3819, it's designed for service as a VHF/UHF amplifier/mixer.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm making an audio mixer circuit from Forrest Mims' Engineers' Mini notebook. He says to use the 2N3819 transistor. My local parts shop doesn't carry it. They have the BS107. Is that equivalent? What parameters should I be looking at anyway when searching for equivalents?
Most suppliers list the 3819 as discontinued - but you can still find them in a few places.

The 2 parameters you most need to get right is the gate cut off voltage and the zero gate voltage drain current.

Last time I checked; Farnell had the NS J113 that you might get away with - its not the Asian 2SJ113, that's a dirty great power FET.

The J113 was used in the DOD FET pre amp for guitars.

You can use a SS MOSFET as an amplifier, but the easiest way is to sense source current with a BJT and control the gate bias voltage.