Question about active low pass filtering

chenron7

Joined Mar 29, 2018
hello :) trying to analyze a circuit and couldn't understand this part of the circuit, in the description of the circuit it says its an active low pass filter. can anyone help me with analyzing this circuit? THANKS :)

Attachments

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
hello :) trying to analyze a circuit and couldn't understand this part of the circuit, in the description of the circuit it says its an active low pass filter. can anyone help me with analyzing this circuit? THANKS :)
That circuit is known as a multiple-feedback low-pass filter. This document should give you what you're looking for.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, it is indeed a low pass active filter. The 560Pf capacitor in the feedback loop reduces the high frequency gain, and the 5n6 capacitor from the resistor junction tends to bypass the higher frequencies. Since there is only one feedback loop I would not call it a multiple feedback filter, although it is a two-pole filter.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Since there is only one feedback loop I would not call it a multiple feedback filter, although it is a two-pole filter.
You can call it whatever you want to, but "multiple-feedback filter" (or sometimes just "MFB filter") is what that particular active filter topology has been called in the technical literature for at least the last half-century. The following diagram, identical to the TS's schematic in post #1, was taken from page 30 of the Burr-Brown Handbook of Operational Amplifier Active RC Networks, First Edition:

Image1.png

The handbook was printed in 1966. So the name goes back a ways.