Question abou Rufus, an .iso to bootable thumb drive utility

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Some days I feel just plain stupid. I'm trying to figure out how set the .iso file as the source file in Rufus. I am including a screen shot of the problem page along with a copy of Rufus. Help?

................................ss200131.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A lot of option are just greyed out. I think the core problem is I just upgraded my lappie to Win 10. Which means I'm fighting that learning curve as well as working on other bugs/problems. It is entirely possible that Rufas is not compatible with my new OS. Worked on Win 7 like a charm. If someone uses Rufus on Win10 I would appreciate help. I included the screen shot to show what options I do have.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Rufus works ok on Windows10. I recently used it to make a UbuntuStudio live bootable USB stick with persistent storage, so that I can play with Linux without installing it on my hard drive.

Last edited:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
A lot of option are just greyed out. I think the core problem is I just upgraded my lappie to Win 10. Which means I'm fighting that learning curve as well as working on other bugs/problems. It is entirely possible that Rufas is not compatible with my new OS. Worked on Win 7 like a charm. If someone uses Rufus on Win10 I would appreciate help. I included the screen shot to show what options I do have.
Windows 10.... now we know why Jesus wept...

When you installed Rufus, did you right-click on the installer and install as Administrator?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I can and have used PowerISO which gets job done. Rufus is by far more elegant.

Rufus works ok on Windows10. I recently used it to make a UbuntuStudio live bootable USB stick with persistent storage, so that I can play with Linux without installing it on my hard drive.
So what the first and second option you clicked In Rufus?

I also made Linux mint thumb drive for a friend, I find it ironic that I have to use Linus to remove windows files (such as windows.old) that windows itself won't let me touch. They are just another file to Linux.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Windows 10.... now we know why Jesus wept...

When you installed Rufus, did you right-click on the installer and install as Administrator?
With Win 10 you have no choice to use it in admin mode. One might think M$ is allergic to public domain.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Download and install 'uacpass' on your Win10 based PC.
You can then add/run programs and avoid the constant 'Do you Allow' message.

E

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
So what the first and second option you clicked In Rufus?
Assuming you are running Windows10, have administrator rights (I'm not sure if that is necessary) and have already downloaded the .iso file from somewhere, start Rufus.
Plug in a blank USB stick (or one with files that will get wiped).
The Device window will now show the name of the USB stick.
In the Boot Selection window, make sure that it's displaying 'Disk or ISO image (please select)'. Use the little arrow if necessary to run through the options.
Press the Select button and navigate to where your .iso file is. Select the .iso file.
Leave all the other sections of the Rufus display in their default states (unless you know better).
Press Start.
Sit back and wait some minutes for 'Ready' to be displayed, then press Close and unplug the USB stick.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ok, I click the option on the scrren shot and nothing happens. It just returns to the previous screen. Maybe I have a bad download? I just spent all day at Dallas Maker space and I'm fried. Woke up at 6AM to be there at 9AM, and got back at 6PM doing 3D prints. For me a techie nerds day out.

ss200202.png

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your Device window isn't showing the name of the USB stick. It must do that before you try the Boot selection. Perhaps with your Rufus/machine combo you need to plug in the stick before running Rufus?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Looks ok so far. Use the arrow to the right of 'Select' to choose among the options, then press the Select button.