Qbasic programs

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Hi,

I write programs in Qbasic for electronics calculations etc. They are compiled .EXE ready to run files. I was trying to upload one hear but got a return message; "file types with that extension are not allowed". Is this a viral issue or something else.
Just wondering?

n9xv

Nettron

Joined Jan 22, 2005
Why not just copy/paste the text in your post ? Have done some Qbasic in the past so i for one would like to have a peek at'em.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
When I try to paste the .BAS file its always in ASCII format. Is there an easy way to convert ASCII to .TXT. I've also noticed that no matter what the file extention is, I still get the message "cannot upload a file with that extention" I'am kinda lost there? but anyway, I'll keep working with it. I thought it would be easy enough to email the .EXE files but apparently that does'nt work either?

Still working on it :unsure:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

ASCII is text. Your problem is probably that the files have a .BAS extension. Either REName the files in dos, or right click on them and change the .BAS to .TXT. That should make everything happy.

vineethbs

Joined Nov 14, 2004
something i hav seen arnd , sometimes exe files are not allowed to be uploaded , as u said it mebbe cuz of paranoia related to viruses , even GMAIL does not let u mail attachments with that extension.

I wud like to see ur programs :D

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by vineethbs@Jan 26 2005, 12:14 PM
thx for the message ,chk this link,there is an utility there that says it can convert qbasic bas files to txt (don't know if this works but still try)
http://qbnz.com/pages/downloads/utilities/
[post=4814]Quoted post[/post]​
In the QB editor environment, you can load a *.BAS file. If you then select 'Save as' you are given the option of saving it as a *.BAS or a *.TXT file.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Thanks to all above for the suggestions and tips. I still cant get it to work though :( . Whether I "save as" or "rename" it with another extension, it still remains in the ascii format. I cant seem to download the file conversion utility although I can download some other utilities from that link. I'am still trying to get utility to work. An interesting discovery though, I maybe able to upload my .exe files to the qbasic new zeland site and provide a link here to access them. At any rate, I'am still working on it :)

Just want everyone to know that I value and appriciate all the ideas/input!

- - - To be continued!

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by n9xv@Jan 27 2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks to all above for the suggestions and tips. I still cant get it to work though :( . Whether I "save as" or "rename" it with another extension, it still remains in the ascii format. I cant seem to download the file conversion utility although I can download some other utilities from that link. I'am still trying to get utility to work. An interesting discovery though, I maybe able to upload my .exe files to the qbasic new zeland site and provide a link here to access them. At any rate, I'am still working on it :)

Just want everyone to know that I value and appriciate all the ideas/input!
- - - To be continued!
[post=4842]Quoted post[/post]​
Just a thought. How about using PKZIP to make a self extracting file of your program(s). It would have the extension .ZIP (the format used for downloading). I have used it with DOS so it is almost certainly possible with Windows.

BTW, I look forward to seeing your programs.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Ok - - - I'am getting closer!

I renamed a .BAS file to a .pdf file. It took the upload but when I try to download it I get this:

"filename does not begin with %pdf"

By simply renaming the file to a .pdf does not "convert" it to a .pdf - - - ???

Any input gentlemen?

Thanks

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
It's probably because Acrobat sees the program downloaded and automatically tries to read it, but can't because it's not in .pdf format.

Have you tried changing to .txt?

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
So far I cant get it to upload with any other extension but .pdf. Thats what I'am asking is how do I put in .pdf format. When the other members post an attachment as filename.pdf, what are they doing that I'am not? How does one convert their file to the .pdf format? Simply renaming the file does'nt seem to be enough.