Python-method explanation

ZimmerJ

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Hello, i am fairly new to python programming (learning the basics). As of now i am learning about objects, decorators etc, and how they work.

I attached a file, a picture to show you what my problem is. I do not understand the use of the 'set_position'-method in the second code, to the right.
I summarized my understanding of the codes with a comment in each one. I attached the .py-files as well.

Feel free to to give some input, appreciate any answers.

If you wonder why i make the code hard to read with different reference-variables and so forth, it is because i'm just trying to see every aspect of what is happening in the code . Sorry about that.

//Edit
In fact, i now realized that i can remove 'set_position' in the first code aswell (the one on the left), and there is no difference. In terms of output that is.
So the 'set_position' becomes irrelevant?
Unless i add a parameter like this:
def set_position(T, y):
T.f["position"] = y
T.f["ASDFGH"] = y

and then in the main-function i can now create a new keyword-argument:
Yerry.set_position("Drag")
Yerry = D(Drag = "run")

But i still have to make a method in the class so i can call it?

Now i am really confused, i have definitely missed out on something.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZimmerJ

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Okey,
so far i have concluded that the 'set_position' (which is what you would call mutator-method i believe), is not necessary?

I can still change the kwargs by calling the get-methods, (accessor-methods). So what is the point of these mutators?

I'm following videos given in my course and i am suppose to tell the differences and why one would be better to use than the other.

ZimmerJ

Joined Dec 9, 2020
This was much more in depth. Thanks!
I believe that's for the best.

Really? Yes they are straight out of the videos, except for the name changes i made. Wow, i feel like i put a lot of time into the wrong things.

I also got this "python for dummies" book online if you ever heard about it, you think it's worth reading?

Last edited: