Puzzles...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
recca02,

Your answers could be correct, however I'm away from my home PC at the moment and can't remember the answer!! :rolleyes: Will be home over the weekend so will check them and let you know the correct answer.

It's something to do with 'elf' anyway, although I'm not sure about the elf-th beer! I'll need elf beers when I'm done! :D

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
We know the victim was German. He was obviously a football fan as well, and said something unkind to a rival fan on the train. The other fan killed him as retaliation for the slight. (Football fans are like that.) The police will be looking for the man in the "elf" jersey - them man shouting "DON'T make fun of my favorite athelete!"

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
We know the victim was German. He was obviously a football fan as well, and said something unkind to a rival fan on the train. The other fan killed him as retaliation for the slight. (Football fans are like that.) [/I]"

moral of the story :if u r a football fan try traveling in buses.

hey hockey is also popular in Germany .

another wild theory.
the person was traveling with his maths teacher.the teacher was irascible .
when he asked him whats 22/2 equals he answered wrongly and hence was beaten black and blue . the student in his dying breath recalled the answer and wrote the correct answer so that his teacher wud forgive him:D

moral: never bunk maths classes or else you wud neve know that 6+5=12 :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I actually think the answers given in this thread are better than the official one! :D

Although from thingmaker3's assertion that the man was German, I seem to recall the official answer claims he spelt "elf" wrong, but wrote it as "elf" because it sounds correct for the German word for eleven (I gestures towards this in an earlier post) - however a browse on the net shows that "elf" is indeed the correct spelling.

I will be home at some point today, so will dig it out and let you know the "official" answer - from the efforts thus far in this thread the answer will be a huge anti-climax!!

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok as promised the answer to the "elf" question, it is a bit lame after some of the great attempts by people in this thread. As a curiosity, the answer is derived from a similar scenario in the book "The Problem of the Locked Caboose" by Edward D. Hoch.

Attached to the train was a caboose with a safe carrying a shipment of jewels. The victim, Schmidt (as named in the book), was the conductor guarding the shipment; he had robbed the safe himself, and had an accomplice travelling on the train under a false name to remove the loot. The accomplice killed Schmidt to keep his share. Schmidt didn't know the accomplice's false name, so he wrote the killer's berth number, 11. For greater clarity he spelled out the number as a word -- in his native German. (In the original story he didn't want "11" to be misread as two parallel lines, but Germans don't write "1" as a straight line.)

In fact my earlier assertion that the spelling of "elf" for the number 11 was wrong and that the dead guy wasn't German, in fact are errors on my part; the great quiz-masters the world over will be turning in the beds/graves :D

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
so is the murderer still in the train or do we need to launch a manhunt
i still believe its........:D
I think considering the murderer has a massive bag of swag (read as "a safe carrying a shipment of jewels"), we will assume he has escaped in the darkness at the next station after the murder. The police can use the "elf" evidence to find out who the murderer is and launch a nationwide/international manhunt. It'll get like the Da Vinci Code! :D

One of us should probably read the book to find out what really happens after the murder!

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Attached to the train was a caboose with a safe carrying a shipment of jewels.
Dave

moral: its unsafe to carry a safe.

"is it a secret is it safe"--------gandalf ----lotr

man i will have to read novels now to solve these cases.

btw the sales of the book might have gone up in last few daves i mean days
:D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
moral: its unsafe to carry a safe.

"is it a secret is it safe"--------gandalf ----lotr
After killing someone, I suspect the murderer would not be too bothered about being "done-over" for the safe! Mind you to come away empty handed after such a deed would be a bit of a bum!

man i will have to read novels now to solve these cases.

btw the sales of the book might have gone up in last few daves i mean days
:D
:D Like it!

Btw, I'm on commission from the author!

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
hey sherlock is out of work keep him busy,
need another one!
my soul will not rest in peace if i dont get one more correct :(

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, the answer to this one is really simple and short:

A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her brother was murdered by her sister. The judge declares to the court, "This is the strangest case I've ever seen. Though it's a cut-and-dried case, this woman cannot be punished."

Why is this so?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
is there a law that pardons the crime of people who confess their guilt.

or was there some other sister,

or did the woman die after confession?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i hope the sister or brother mentioned above are not the titular ones,
i mean sister is a title given to a nun or a caretaker is it not?
similarly it might be the case for brother though only one of the above possibilities is enough.

"her brother was murdered by her sister"
shudn't it be his sister.

if not

now how is this her sister related to the victim if there is only one sister,
shudn't there be two sisters.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The murderer cannot be punished because either:

A) The case is being tried in California and it would be unfair punish someone for no better reason than murder - its not like she was polluting or eating meat, or speaking unkind words, after all!

or

B) The murderer is not capable of recieving punishment due to
...1) having been abducted by space aliens,
...2) having fallen into an alternate dimensions,
...3) having croaked at some point after the murder, or
...4) having wisely fled to a nation with no extradition treaty.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BitsNBytes General Electronics Chat 8
gbm46 Off-Topic 64