Puzzles...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The island is special because it is a tropical island. The letter is his suicide note, and hes crying because of some tragedy that happened and he didnt throw the cigarette away because theres poison in it for the suicide.:D (Im guessing this is way off...)
You are way off! :D

You need to know why the island is special - think of why he doesn't cry when the cigarette burns his hand.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i will have to get some info on the legends and famous books written in the west
but i believe
the person in question here is some famous character and treasure hunter whose one arm is prosthetic ,this is the reason why he does not feel any burn.
he is on the treasure island which explains the island.
he cries in ecstasy because the letter may be the treasure map

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
i will have to get some info on the legends and famous books written in the west
but i believe
the person in question here is some famous character and treasure hunter whose one arm is prosthetic ,this is the reason why he does not feel any burn.
he is on the treasure island which explains the island.
he cries in ecstasy because the letter may be the treasure map
Pretty good guess. It's all wrong of course :D

Working out who the letter is from and the content of the letter comes from working out what is special (or not special as the case may be) about the island. To work that out you need to think why the burning of his hand (which is his real hand) didn't hurt or make him cry.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
this one might also be wrong but given the circumstances the foll is also possible.
there is a popular belief (at least in my country,our folk tales are full of such incidences) that a injured person can not be taken for a sacrifice . he incidentally landed on an island of tribes who offer human sacrifice.
the letter might have revealed the above information. so he knowingly burned his hands and cried not in agony but in relief.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
this one might also be wrong but given the circumstances the foll is also possible.
there is a popular belief (at least in my country,our folk tales are full of such incidences) that a injured person can not be taken for a sacrifice . he incidentally landed on an island of tribes who offer human sacrifice.
the letter might have revealed the above information. so he knowingly burned his hands and cried not in agony but in relief.
That sounds like a great answer.

The interpretation of an injured person not being taken for a sacrifice is something one would need to know, since this is circumstantial, i.e. applicable to your part of the world, then this answer is not correct.

The link between the island and the reason he cannot feel his hand when the cigarette burns it is known and accepted medical/scientific knowledge (a bit of a hint in there).

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
ok one last attempt.
the man just landed on the island perhaps in search of a fortune.
the letter he comes across tells him of the crops found there ,they are helpful
in making painkillers or some drug that reduces consciousness of pain (morphine???). to test this he lights a cigarette and lets it burn after taking some samples of the drug found there. as the cigarette burns through his fingers he feels no pain. he cries out of ecstasy in anticipation of the fortune he wud be able to make with the crops.
if this isnt the case i will hoist a white flag.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
ok one last attempt.
the man just landed on the island perhaps in search of a fortune.
the letter he comes across tells him of the crops found there ,they are helpful
in making painkillers or some drug that reduces consciousness of pain (morphine???). to test this he lights a cigarette and lets it burn after taking some samples of the drug found there. as the cigarette burns through his fingers he feels no pain. he cries out of ecstasy in anticipation of the fortune he wud be able to make with the crops.
if this isnt the case i will hoist a white flag.
Your white flag waving in the distance is noted! This is all wrong, but highly imaginative :D

I will try and come up with a clue that is both helpful, but doesn't give the game away. When I have thought of one I'll post up.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
ha ha, did i say that was my last answer i meant it was my final attempt before this one :D .
i figured out that he may be standing on a island whose land may be made of gunpowder( this is one wild guess). so he now cant throw the cigarette .
this info he came to know from the letter. but i cant explain why he cries.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Kalaupapa? A "dear John" letter in the wake of diagnosis?
The man is a genius!!

This is the correct answer...phrased slightly differently of course. The official answer I have is:

He is a guard in a leper colony (in thingmaker3's example Kalaupapa Island). The letter to him informs him that he has contracted the disease. The key is the cigarette burning down between his fingers since leprosy is fairly unique in killing off sensory nerves without destroying motor ability.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
oh man i was way off
but i didnt knew that thing abt leprosy
guess my ignorance did me in.
anyway, keep them coming mr dave.

Eddy Kurent

Joined Apr 9, 2007
I thought of everything but that! What's next?

(I did come up with Koni fruit, a hawaiian product that supposedly has extreme curative powers. But you use the leaves to treat burns.... no good there).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, another crime scene:

A man is killed on a train. On the floor in his own blood he is found to have written the word "elf".

What does "elf" mean?

Why was the man killed?

Finally, can you explain the circumstances behind the evidence in the crime scene?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
does this "elf" has something to do with "self" with s wiped out?
or were the elfs shooting arrows with "Extremely Low Frequency" :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BitsNBytes General Electronics Chat 8
gbm46 Off-Topic 64