Puzzles...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, I have some situational conundrums and I though I would start a thread to see if anyone can a bit of common sense to find an answer. I have plenty to go through, so I'm sure we'll get bored before I run out! Have a guess, and as soon as a correct answer is given we'll move onto the next.

So here we go:

A man lives on the tenth floor of an apartment building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator, or if it was raining that day, he goes back to his floor directly. However, if there is nobody else in the elevator or it hasn't rained, he goes to the eighth floor and walks up two flights of stairs to his room. Why?

Dave

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
My guess is the following.

The elevator only goes to the eighth floor and it has a capacity of one person only.

When it has been raining, the courteous tenant avoids dripping in the elevator so he goes directly to his room via the stairs.

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
My guess is the following.

The elevator only goes to the eighth floor and it has a capacity of one person only.

When it has been raining, the courteous tenant avoids dripping in the elevator so he goes directly to his room via the stairs.

hgmjr
Interesting start, sadly its wrong.

Note: In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator, or if it was raining that day, he goes back to his floor directly

So the elevator supports more than one person.

A clue would be think how you work an elevator when you get into it.

Dave

Eddy Kurent

Joined Apr 9, 2007
The man has a girlfriend on the eighth floor.

If the "another person" happens to be his wife, he goes straight home (naturally, don't we all?)

His girlfriend, however, operates the umbrella-rental concession, and thus is not home on rainy days.

Ergo.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
based on the hint mr dave has given let me have a guess.
the man is a having a short height so if the buttons are arranged in ascending manner chances are his fingers reach only button of eight floor. the other person wud do so for him perhaps.
on rainy days he uses umbrella. (thanks mr eddykurrent for the umbrella hint)
i m watching a great detective series (death note-a really great series) so such weird answers are expected from me.
exceptions:
1 the man uses raincoat not umbrella.
2 the other person is his evil twin
3 the man is an allaboutcircuits member hence mr dave made him a remote to operate the elevator.
or---- the man is a psycho he kills people on 8th floor so if someone is in elevator he first knocks him unconscious and the kills him on 8th floor. its against his principles to kill on rainy days.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The man has a girlfriend on the eighth floor.

If the "another person" happens to be his wife, he goes straight home (naturally, don't we all?)

His girlfriend, however, operates the umbrella-rental concession, and thus is not home on rainy days.

Ergo.
Great guess, its not the official answer, but I like it!

based on the hint mr dave has given let me have a guess.
the man is a having a short height so if the buttons are arranged in ascending manner chances are his fingers reach only button of eight floor. the other person wud do so for him perhaps.
on rainy days he uses umbrella. (thanks mr eddykurrent for the umbrella hint)
Thats the one!

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok next one:

A man takes a 2-week cruise to Latin America from the U.S. Shortly after he gets back, he takes another 3-day cruise which doesn't stop at any other ports. He stays in his cabin all the time on both cruises. As a result, he makes $500,000. Why?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i also believe he is a ship captain--credits to antseezee.
or
maybe he is in some sort of race and he made all that money from sponsors.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A ship captain that earns $500,000 for 2 and half weeks work - I'm in the wrong business!! :D

Sadly that is not correct, although you would be correct that is individual is on the ship "on-business".

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
ok i give up,
did the person hijack the ship and earn the money as ransom.
or
can anybody give me the contact no of sherlock holmes
or where is gotham city so that
i can use the bat signal.;-)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
ok i give up,
did the person hijack the ship and earn the money as ransom.
or
can anybody give me the contact no of sherlock holmes
or where is gotham city so that
i can use the bat signal.;-)
You are actually not a million miles off. The full answer is:

He's a smuggler. On the first cruise, someone brings the $500,000 contraband to his cabin, and he hides it safely. Returning to the U.S., he leaves without the contraband, and so passes through customs with no trouble. On the second trip, he has the same cabin on the same ship. Because it doesn't stop anywhere, he doesn't have to go through customs when he returns, so he gets the contraband off safely.

Probably a little difficult.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, Sherlock here's a crime scene (quite easy):

A man is dead in a puddle of blood and water on the floor of a locked room. The room appears to be only lockable from the inside and there are no other exits from the room. How did he die?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
here is a wild guess.
the man bought a huge cube of ice.
locked the room.
using ice cube he hung himself.
as the ice melted he died.this explains water but not the pool of blood.
another exception --he tried this on a cold siberian day and the ice sadly didnt melt for one month :-(

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I am guessing the room was a bathroom and the modest man went to the bathroom locking the door while he managed his business and was the unfortunate victim of an accidental fall in which he slipped on the wet floor sustaining a massive head trauma that resulted in the blood.

hgmjr

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
You are actually not a million miles off. The full answer is:

He's a smuggler. On the first cruise, someone brings the $500,000 contraband to his cabin, and he hides it safely. Returning to the U.S., he leaves without the contraband, and so passes through customs with no trouble. On the second trip, he has the same cabin on the same ship. Because it doesn't stop anywhere, he doesn't have to go through customs when he returns, so he gets the contraband off safely.

Probably a little difficult.

Dave
btw
there was no way i cud answer that
since smugglers in my country dont do that much,
they just have friends in high places.
bribing is another easy option for them.

here is one more wild guess it explains blood pool.

he used an ice sword to stab himself. which melted later.
this explains blood and water pool. of course he may have locked the door before that.('cold blooded' murder :) )

another explanation :--
he drank too much water on a cold siberian day. the water froze in his stomach :)
if you think this is weird try reading abt the urban legend called "fan death" in wiki.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sorry I've not posted recently, I've been away from the computer for a few days. Ok, crime scene blood and water...

here is a wild guess.
the man bought a huge cube of ice.
locked the room.
using ice cube he hung himself.
as the ice melted he died.this explains water but not the pool of blood.
another exception --he tried this on a cold siberian day and the ice sadly didnt melt for one month :-(
That is a different take on this puzzle, and therefore is the incorrect answer.

I am guessing the room was a bathroom and the modest man went to the bathroom locking the door while he managed his business and was the unfortunate victim of an accidental fall in which he slipped on the wet floor sustaining a massive head trauma that resulted in the blood.

hgmjr
Thats a pretty good guess. The answer is wrong purely because I don't know of any bathrooms without windows and hence a potential exit from the room, also I'm the quiz master and can make such calls :D

Is it just me or are these puzzles getting more and more vague(aka open to more answers)
Probably :D I will resurrect this for you with the next one!

here is one more wild guess it explains blood pool.

he used an ice sword to stab himself. which melted later.
this explains blood and water pool. of course he may have locked the door before that.('cold blooded' murder :))
Thats the official answer! (Although hgmjr's would also be correct).

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, as per Salgat's request the following puzzle is difficult and unambiguous:

A man in uniform stands on the beach of a tropical island. He takes out a cigarette, lights it, and begins smoking. He takes out a letter and begins reading it. The cigarette burns down between his fingers, but he doesn't throw it away. He cries, but not from the pain of the cigarette burn.

What is special about the Island?

What is the letter about?

Why does he not cry after being burnt by his cigarette? And why is he crying anyway?

The idea is to answer these questions to make a complete answer to the puzzle - there is only one correct answer (that I know of) that explains all queries raised.

Dave

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Ok, as per Salgat's request the following puzzle is difficult and unambiguous:

A man in uniform stands on the beach of a tropical island. He takes out a cigarette, lights it, and begins smoking. He takes out a letter and begins reading it. The cigarette burns down between his fingers, but he doesn't throw it away. He cries, but not from the pain of the cigarette burn.

What is special about the Island?

What is the letter about?

Why does he not cry after being burnt by his cigarette? And why is he crying anyway?

The idea is to answer these questions to make a complete answer to the puzzle - there is only one correct answer (that I know of) that explains all queries raised.

Dave
The island is special because it is a tropical island. The letter is his suicide note, and hes crying because of some tragedy that happened and he didnt throw the cigarette away because theres poison in it for the suicide.:D (Im guessing this is way off...)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BitsNBytes General Electronics Chat 8
gbm46 Off-Topic 64