Puzzled by SOIC8 vs SOP8.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Seems pretty much the same size. So confused... can I drop in replace one for the other? I don’t see any glaring differences. Did I miss something?

88AC97C3-D780-4DAF-A550-6E34C003A34C.jpeg BCB3AA95-A3A0-49E3-BEB5-006B3399E86E.jpeg

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Some manufacturers use different sources for their SMT shells. There are slight differences, but basically they are the same. Yes, you can substitute one for the other.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
There seems to be a difference to the thickness but other than that looks like it would fit on the same pads. Thanks for confirming. I suppose if the width and pitch is ok it should work.

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
There seems to be a difference to the thickness but other than that looks like it would fit on the same pads. Thanks for confirming. I suppose if the width and pitch is ok it should work.
@Wolframore
If you are aiming for automated assembly, then there could be slight differences in the pads pattern on the PCB; that's something you would discuss with whomever would be doing the assembly (prior to releasing your PCB design of course). The right pattern pretty much self-centers the pads in the solder puddle. For hand assembly, it doesn't much matter.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I’m still hand assembling. I’m looking at one of those smaller pick and place jobbers. So it shouldn’t be too hard to adjust on runs. The packages look close enough to center during reflow. Will have to adjust for height.