Push Button Timer Relay Help

chasesmallwood10

Joined Apr 15, 2018
I am needing help finding a relay timer that will turn on after a push button has been held down for an amount of time, and will reset if the button is let go of. I know this is very technically worded, but I have an idea for a timer box for our airsoft games, and can not find what I need.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If I understand--
you want an output when a push-button has been pressed for a certain amount of time and then the output stays until the button is released?

About how long does the button need to be pressed before you want an output?

chasesmallwood10

Joined Apr 15, 2018
I want an output to stay on when-
1. A button has been held down for a selected about of time
2. If the button is release before time runs out I would either like the timer to rest, or at least stop until button is pressed again.

chasesmallwood10

Joined Apr 15, 2018
If I understand--
you want an output when a push-button has been pressed for a certain amount of time and then the output stays until the button is released?

About how long does the button need to be pressed before you want an output?
A few minutes up to 20 minutes. I am making a digital capture the flag box airsoft games

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017

Button takes first 555 out of reset, and resets 4017.

4017 divides the count pulses.

Second 555 fires at the end of delay.

Will need a couple of inverters.

Last edited:

chasesmallwood10

Joined Apr 15, 2018
20 minutes is a long time to hold down a button. :eek:
That's the idea. The plan is to have one team fight for control of the box, and have to hold the button, while they defend it. If the button is let go of, then the time resets. That would be an extreme time limit, but 10 minutes would be more the norm. Is this possible to achieve with a single board?
A FRM01 cycle timer gives almost every option except for what I need.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Here is my idea. Charge a cap slowly (with a high value resistor) to a certain threshold voltage through a pushbutton. If it reaches that voltage, an output gets pulled high, turning on your thing. If it is not being pressed, it turns another output high that quickly discharges the cap through a low value resistor. Make R higher and C lower so that the capaciator does not take up too much space.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
You could make it with RC components and some fets for less than a dollar though. I would not go with that. Unless you want the display.