Purpose of resistor

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
The function of a resistor is to convert current flow into voltage drop.
I think, this is definitely wrong.
The current within a resistive device is always the RESULT of a voltage across its two nodes - resp. the corresponding electric field within the device. Without such a field we have no current.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
“What is the function of a resistor in a circuit?” is like asking “What is the function of a nail in a house?”

What is the function of that nail, right there, can be answered. The general question is not well formed because it assumes something that isn’t true, that components used in a system serve some fixed function. The function of any element in a system varies with the system and the application.

You can talk about the general cases concerning attributes but not functions because functions are contextual and “in a system” is not sufficient context.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
..... The general question is not well formed because it assumes something that isn’t true, that components used in a system serve some fixed function. The function of any element in a system varies with the system and the application.
Quite right.
On the other hand - reading the question, I think we can assume that the questioner is an absolute beginner.
Having this in mind, I think we all know what the real content of the question is - regardless of whether the question has been clearly and precisely formulated.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If you can invent a resistor that can drop voltage or limit current without generating heat, you'll be just as big as google, amazon or facebook.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Quite right.
On the other hand - reading the question, I think we can assume that the questioner is an absolute beginner.
Having this in mind, I think we all know what the real content of the question is - regardless of whether the question has been clearly and precisely formulated.
That is a pedagogical error. We can't know what is known, nor what is misconceived. In my experience of teaching and designing demos and museum exhibits I've learned that assuming what the person knows is a mistake. There is a related idea that you should never fake anything you can avoid, and fully disclose things that are simulated.

You can't know the mind of the person asking the question, there are assumptions being made, and even they may not be aware of what they are.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
I've learned that assuming what the person knows is a mistake..
Yes - agreed. But that is not the core of the problem,
However, from a corresponding question I am able to assume what the person does NOT know. That`s a big difference.
To me, it is clear that the questioner wants an overview about the various tasks a resistor can fulfill in electronics.
I have more than 25 years experience in teaching electronics - and such questions (even if they are not correctly formulated) are not new to me.
It is one of the tasks of a lecturer to assess what the problem of a student really is - even if the question is rather vague.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yes - agreed. But that is not the core of the problem,
However, from a corresponding question I am able to assume what the person does NOT know. That`s a big difference.
To me, it is clear that the questioner wants an overview about the various tasks a resistor can fulfill in electronics.
I have more than 25 years experience in teaching electronics - and such questions (even if they are not correctly formulated) are not new to me.
It is one of the tasks of a lecturer to assess what the problem of a student really is - even if the question is rather vague.
The question did not seem to be posed as sincere but as theoretical. If a sincere question is asked, it would get a different response from me.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The same can be said of every kind of component in electronics.

What is purpose of a
  • resistor
  • capacitor
  • inductor
  • diode
  • transistor
  • logic gate
The TS is asking a question from an uninformed position as a layperson.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The same can be said of every kind of component in electronics.

What is purpose of a
  • resistor
  • capacitor
  • inductor
  • diode
  • transistor
  • logic gate
The TS is asking a question from an uniformed position as a layperson.
The question was posed as "what is the function of a resistor in a circuit?", it included a poll that was deleted but included two options "resistor" and "current", if I recall correctly. There was some agenda in the question, it wasn't innocent, and it wasn't sensible.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
depends on the resistor and depends on the circuit... can we move on? I got some beers to polish... :D

what's the function of this verb in a sentence? depends...

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Seriously, I think about the way I use resistors and there's no set rule about what function they serve. Sometimes it's just to pull up or pull down voltage, other times to control current, sometimes to divide for a useful and safe voltage for sensing or interfacing with digital inputs... It's one of the basic elements of Ohm's law. You can also match impedance, perhaps it's to slow down capacitor drain for setting a frequency for an oscillator.... jeeze can't we just have the circuit? That way we can explain how the resistor is being used in that circuit... We can go around and around in circles with this one.