Projects with c++ Beginner

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
Hello!

I wanted to start by making some simple Internet of things project in c++ programming. I have raspberry Pi board. I followed the some tutorials on google but i don't really have any ideas how to start. What may be good project to start for beginner

Has anyone worked with c++ language for raspberry Pi. Please share your experience, What type of project you made and give me some advice

Thanks in advance!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
RPi runs a version of Linux, so there's nothing exceptionally unique about using C++ or any other language on that platform.

I don't have RPi, but I use an ARM based SBC called C.H.I.P. running Debian. I'm using C, which is just C++ without object orientation. I'm currently working on scrolling LED displays and reading/writing some NVRAM chips I have (Xicor X2210). I plan to build readers/programmers for the memory chips (e.g. PROM) not supported by my EPROM programmer.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
How about create a linked list (C++ learning) of all the WiFi devices that the Pi can detect (Linux/Pi learning) and list them on a web page (web learning) served by the Pi. Repeat for Bluetooth devices nearby (does the Pi have BT?). These will all help you with IoT.

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
How about create a linked list (C++ learning) of all the WiFi devices that the Pi can detect (Linux/Pi learning) and list them on a web page (web learning) served by the Pi. Repeat for Bluetooth devices nearby (does the Pi have BT?). These will all help you with IoT.
MrSoftware, Thanks for the response!. Which server is suitable to creating web application in c++ language. I am running Apache server on Raspberry Pi. I have raspberry Pi3 Model. It support Wifi and Bluetooth. I have installed wiringpi and I can access the GPIO of Raspberry Pi.

Have you developed any desktop application other then wif detection for internet of things ? if yes then can you please tell me what you have developed for Iot

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
There are so many different ways you can do things, just pick a way and go. You'll most likely do it differently the next time, but you have to start somewhere. Assuming your goals are to find all nearby wifi and bluetooth devices and list them on a web page; if your focus is on the web facing portion, then see if you can accomplish everything using php, using apache as the server. There have got to be some Pi examples for doing this.

If you want to learn the lower level stuff then use C/C++ to find the devices. But before you start, determine if you want to serve the web pages from your own code, or if you still want to use apache. If you still want to use apache, then you'll need to do a little work to write your C/C++ code in a way that apache can communicate with your program. If you want to serve the web pages from your own program then read up on how that works, there is some very simple arduino code out there that gives an example.

My background is mostly developing lower level multi platform libraries using C/C++ (and related shell scripting), some automation and GUI work using C#, a little embedded work using Atmel and Nordic processors, and some android apps using xamarin (stay with android studio if you don't need cross platform capability). A little bit of web development and enough server admin work to know that I really don't like it.. at all. ;)

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
There are so many different ways you can do things, just pick a way and go. You'll most likely do it differently the next time, but you have to start somewhere.
Currently, I am learning to make my own web application. I have started to reading some tutorials. I am trying to make small projects. . I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking to Turn on / off led on raspberry by using web browser.

I would like to talk on projects Can you suggest me some of projects, What should I have do after turning on/ off led. I know there so many projects available on internet but sometime we don't select project that match with our knowledge level.

I think it would be better to take advice who has been already worked and more experienced.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I would separate the two. First write some code to turn the LEDs on and off. Also write some code to detect the level of the Pi pin as an input. Separately write a web page and some back-end code that can get data from a server and send data to a server. Then you will know how both things work individually, next combine them to control the pi from the web. There's a hundred different ways you can go about it, but in my personal opinion you're better off learning the individual things first and then combining them.

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
I would separate the two. First write some code to turn the LEDs on and off. Also write some code to detect the level of the Pi pin as an input. Separately write a web page and some back-end code that can get data from a server and send data to a server. Then you will know how both things work individually, next combine them to control the pi from the web. There's a hundred different ways you can go about it, but in my personal opinion you're better off learning the individual things first and then combining them.
I did it before in php and python. first I wrote code to turn the LED on and off. I created one virtual button on web page to turn the LED on and off. I can turn the LED on and off using virtual button on web browser. I understand how things work combine.

I have some sensor's I would like to know What should I have do after turning on/ off led. What would be good start after LED