Programming stm32 chips with NUCLEO board

irmanao

Joined Apr 29, 2017
I want to program just a few (5-6) stm32 chips for a project and i currently program and test code on a nucleo board. Can i just desolder the chip from the nucleo board and solder the next chip to program it? The nucleo board is for 144pin devices, so could i insert any 144pin stm32 into it and program it?
thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Which Nucleo board do you have?
Which STM32 chip do you wish to program?

It is not practical to have to unsolder the chip from the Nucleo board.

If the board has an ST-LINK connector, you can use the signals from that connector to program your target MCU.
Normally, since most (if not all) chips are now SMD, you would make a PCB with your target chip soldered on to the PCB. Provide pins that will connect to your target MCU for programming from ST-LINK.

irmanao

Joined Apr 29, 2017
I am using the nucleoh743 board and haven't chosen the exact chip i will eventually use. So you are suggesting something like this but with a custom board.

Is it possible to program a different chip from the one on the nucleo, just like the picture?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not quite like that.
You can program the MCU on the left using its USB connection.
You can program the MCU on the right using its USB connection. There is no point in doing as shown in the picture.

Your target MCU is going to be on its own PCB, something that you create.

You can program any STM32, as far as I know, using the ST-LINK connection. I personally use the STM32F Discovery boards to do my programming.

irmanao

Joined Apr 29, 2017
I just found this picture but yeah i got what you said about the custom PCB. Won't there be a problem when two different chips are being "programmed" at the same time? For example the stm32h743 on the nucleo board and an stm32f chip on the custom board (connected to the st-link). That part kinda confuses me.. I program through the IAR environment.

Thanks for your time