Program to control Microcontroller.

samjesse

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Hi

Could some one please recommend a program that allows the user to send commands from a PC to the microcontroller, either to control devices (lights, motors, etc.) or to read data from devices.

Many thx

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
At the PC end you could use RS232 such as Hex Com Rs232, or use something like Modbus protocol, but either way you would need to decode this at the microcontroller end.
Modbus is a common industry standard for controlling remote I/O etc sending packets of information from Master to Slave.
Max.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Modbus is a fairly complicated protocol that requires a lot of reading etc.

I suggest you buy a $3 ebay module USB->TTL serial converter. The PC sends or receives data in simple serial bytes, and the output of the module is TTL serial that can connect directly to a microcontroller's USART pins.

There are freeware PC programs that will send or receive the serial data; "terminal" type programs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is a good user friendly MOdbus tool that is not too expensive that I should got?

Thank you
There are many free Modbus tutorials out there, but to send and receive organized reading, writing and control of I/O devices from PC to a Micro requires some kind of formal program at both ends, a simple Terminal program will not usually cut it.
There is also controllers at the terminal end such as PLC's that have Modbus built in, so the only other programming requirement would be at the PC end.
Modbus field equipment usually has RS485 protocol for which there is many very cheap adapters from either RS232 or USB.
Max.

samjesse

Joined Sep 14, 2008
I found Atmega32 microcontroller tutorials and much helpful info at https://www.newbiehack.com/
As newbi as I am with microcontroller and knowing some C++, I found it a good start using the Programmer notepad, Atmel Studio 6 and WinAVR.

I am not sure if it uses the Modbus protocol or not, but will I come across a known problem later with this MC?

Thank you