Problem with understanding motor construction

Vlad Condrea

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Hello guys,
I'm a real beginer in electronics empire. I have a motor taken from an automatic garage door opener, and unfortunately I don't know what type of motor is this one. It has 4 wires coming out of the motor, I had no clue which is what, so I removed the cover to see where the cables lead.
Please see attached images.
Can you please tell me what type of motor is it, and where I can find more information about it ? IMG_20160414_200133_HDR.jpg IMG_20160414_200150_HDR.jpg IMG_20160414_200214_HDR.jpg IMG_20160414_200232_HDR.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can you please tell me what type of motor is it, and where I can find more information about it ?
The owner's manual can be a good place to start. If you're lucky the part number will then cross reference to a number of sources. For instance a Whirlpool dishwasher might share a motor with models from Kenmore and GE. Then you search around for the best price.

Oh wait, you didn't say you were replacing it.

Vlad Condrea

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Actually I don't want to replace it , I want to use it for other purposes. So I want to wire it correctly.
To be honest with you, I have 2 of them, and I've burned the plate on one of them ))

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally they are 1ph induction motors with identical fields making it easy to reverse, and the pic show a 50μf cap which could confirm it.
Most garage door openers in N.A. are made by Chamberlain.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
looks to me like a universal motor, 6 wires, two sets of field coils(red, green) and a set of brushes (black,white), with a spring earth contact.
That is what I suspected at first, but the large value caps and the fact that a Universal motor is not a good choice for a garage door opener made me doubt it.
If the OP confirms it has brushes, then it does point to Universal.;)
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Pretty much confirms it.
The series field windings are reversed with respect to the armature pair to reverse the motor.
I assume all those caps are for suppression?
Max.

Vlad Condrea

Joined Feb 27, 2016
Here is one more image about the motor specs, I have only this, writen on it's gear box.
Regarding the caps, the construction is like this : there is a plate(you can see the image attached in first message), the metalic cap was touching the plate, and this plate was connected to one pair of red and green wires. The other pair of red and green wires are coming outside the motor, as well as the black and white wires.
I'm sorry I didn't mention all this information earlier.

Kind regards,
Vlad

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One thing to be aware of with a Universal motor, they are made to have some kind of load at all times when running, as they operate in a runaway condition when simply powered with no load.
Load keeps the rpm within safe operating range.
Max.