Problem with the DFA

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
Hi,

I want to create a dfa for: ab*a*.

I found one from the internet. It shows two path from the initial state, one for 'a' input and the other for 'b'. I think there is no need for the path with 'b' input.

Some body please guide me, if the DFA correct or not.

Zulfi.DFA_ab_star_a_star.jpg

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you want to create a DFA for ab*a*, then instead of going out and finding one on the internet, how about just sitting down and creating one yourself?

A proper DFA needs to show all transitions, so there needs to be an arrow leaving each state for each symbol in the input alphabet.

What is the shortest string that is in the language ab*a*? Does that DFA accept that string?

Is the string "ab" in that language? Does that DFA accept that string?

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
If you want to create a DFA for ab*a*, then instead of going out and finding one on the internet, how about just sitting down and creating one yourself?

A proper DFA needs to show all transitions, so there needs to be an arrow leaving each state for each symbol in the input alphabet.

What is the shortest string that is in the language ab*a*? Does that DFA accept that string?

Is the string "ab" in that language? Does that DFA accept that string?
Hi,
I have made a modified DFA:

modified DFA2.jpg
I think this one is better.

Zulfi.

zulfi100

Joined Jun 7, 2012
How many states does this DFA have?

Will this DFA accept the string "abab"? Is that string in the language ab*a*?
How many states does this DFA have?

Will this DFA accept the string "abab"? Is that string in the language ab*a*?
Yes it would accept abab and abab is not in the language. I have converted it into NFA, if its wrong please show me the correct one because I have spent the enough time.

Zulfi.modified_DFA3.jpg