Probelm with PIC16F777

jean120

Joined Jan 24, 2016
I am making a three phase AC motor speed control using ICD3 as downloader but when uploading codes to my PIC the MPLAB says
"Error - Could not find Generic linker commands for this device."

Could you please guide me on how I can remove this error?

Please help

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When you unzip that file and get to the listing of what it includes, including the "adc operation.asm file," did you also place the "parameters.inc" file in the same folder? Or, you need to tell the assembler where it is.

Also, you may need to disable case sensitivity in the project "build options" dropdown. I did not test that per se, and Microchip is usually pretty careful in that regard, but it usually won't hurt to do it.

Here are the two "include" files you need:
Capture.PNG

John

jean120

Joined Jan 24, 2016
I copied and pasted the parameters.inc in the installation directory of MPLAB under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPASM Suite.

But another concern is that when I upload the .hex file from what taken from the previous provided link,I don`t get the PWM Signals as planed,what should be the mistake?The RUN/STOP button is connected and used.

Please help

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This is what my project tree looks like:
upload_2016-4-16_8-20-38.png
Did you note that it is relocatable code, not absolute? Mine still doesn't compile, however. I get this error: "A language-plugin exception occurred and was logged," and that is all. Apparently, that error arises in the compiler. Various fixes are recommended, if you search on it. I did not want to risk modifying my registry, though.

Here is a Microchip forum moderator's comment: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m323310.aspx#323310

John

jean120

Joined Jan 24, 2016
Where is the second file the vf_control_using_7*7.asm?
where have you picked the file adc_operation.o?from the IDC folder?
Please help!!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I cannot tell from your responses what you have done. Did you get the program to compile? Or, did you just load the hex file? Your post #5 implies the latter, but there are 4 posts after that. If it is the latter, it is likely that your circuit does not match exactly the circuit for which that hex files works. While one can sometimes change a few things in a hex file, such as a date or a constant, it will be near impossible to debug a hex file in the context of this thread.

1) If you plan to continue with the hex file, I suggest that you have a helper confirm that your circuit is exactly the same as the Microchip circuit. Previously you reported that the PWM signal was not what you expected. Now you report that there is no signal. Is that a change? What changed?

2) In the alternative, what have you done to load the compile the source code? Do you know the difference between relocatable code and absolute code? Do you have any experience in Assembly language? And assuming all efforts fail at compiling the relocatable code, do you know how to convert to absolute code or have the desire for doing that?

John

jean120

Joined Jan 24, 2016
I cannot tell from your responses what you have done. Did you get the program to compile? Or, did you just load the hex file? Your post #5 implies the latter, but there are 4 posts after that. If it is the latter, it is likely that your circuit does not match exactly the circuit for which that hex files works. While one can sometimes change a few things in a hex file, such as a date or a constant, it will be near impossible to debug a hex file in the context of this thread.

1) If you plan to continue with the hex file, I suggest that you have a helper confirm that your circuit is exactly the same as the Microchip circuit. Previously you reported that the PWM signal was not what you expected. Now you report that there is no signal. Is that a change? What changed?

2) In the alternative, what have you done to load the compile the source code? Do you know the difference between relocatable code and absolute code? Do you have any experience in Assembly language? And assuming all efforts fail at compiling the relocatable code, do you know how to convert to absolute code or have the desire for doing that?

John
Dear John,see the method I used:
1)I extracted the zipped from microchip and took the three files,"parameters.inc","vf_control_using_7*7.asm" and the "adc_operation.asm"
I created a new project and used those files for creating a .hex file after that the .hex file got is uploaded to the PIC,but no output gained;

2)I think with relocatable files need other files means two or more files compiler together in the same project and then generate one .hex file,the absolute file I think are those which use one file (file of codes),I don`t know how to convert from relocatable to absolute,can you help?For the circuit used I connected the PIC16F777 as indicated with the microchip circuit unless there are other additional connections needed but I thought even if I connect the PIC with .hex file loaded I can get the output as other components like potentiometer,op amp are externally needed and can`t block the circuit to operate.

Please help!!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This question seems to have morphed into something new. Originally, you posted:
I am making a three phase AC motor speed control using ICD3 as downloader but when uploading codes to my PIC the MPLAB says
"Error - Could not find Generic linker commands for this device."
How were you able to get a hex file with that error? When you do the compilation ("Assembly"), there is a disassembled version available in MPLab. Have you checked to see whether the disassembled version is the same file you intended to compile?

Moving ahead, I'll assume that you found the missing file(s), compiled as relocatable code, and got a hex file. Now the program doesn't work. Since it is a Microchip program and relatively lengthy, maybe the best place to address that problem is on the Microchip forum.

I am not familiar with how Microchip validates programs in its application notes. I suspect there are occasional problems, but I have never encountered a serious one. Based on that limited experience, I suspect the problem (assuming you have the right hex file) is more likely with your circuit design.

John

jean120

Joined Jan 24, 2016
I didn`t make the complete circuit but few connections were made to test just the PWM output of the PIC not the operation of the full circuit and I tried to use the PIC18F4431 with this one I got no error but its doesn`t give the PWM output.